1973 Camaro Restoration/Build- Bein Bad

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 7/3-SplitRS, May 5, 2017.

1. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    Hey
    Looks like you bought that down in my neck of the woods, I'm in Sycamore.
    I'm sure we'll cross paths some time.
    Can't wait to see it finished.
    Bill

2. 7/3-SplitRS

7/3-SplitRS Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Hard to see in the pictures but I was looking over my subframe and behind the passenger side control arms on the frame there seems to be an indent. I'm not sure if the frame is bent or if this was the design of the frame. It is visibly concave in the one spot. If someone gets a chance can you check yours and see if it's the same? Thanks

Attached Files:

3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    My 78 and 79 frames at that spot are straight. Not sure if the older 2nd gens were different.

4. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Yeah, after putting the pictures on here and then looking at them, they actually look worse than in person. Not sure if it is bent or not. Just not 100% sure on continuing with this frame if there will be issues later with alignment of steering or sheetmetal etc.

5. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    MRFleet- Yeah we are close by. I live in Pecatonica. Do you usually have your car at the (Turning Back Time) car show in Sycamore? If so maybe I will see you there!

6. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    For sure, will be there Sunday and at the Chevy dealer show Saturday.. Saturday Autometer puts on a pretty good bash as well, several nice cars, band, food etc.. All leading up to the big show Sunday.

7. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    Your frame is dented for sure.

8. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    So, is there any way to see if the frame is useable? Measure from mounting point to mounting point? Like front to back in an X pattern? Will those measurements be the same? Haven't really dealt with an issue like this yet. Thanks for any help.

9. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Is that on the main drag there in sycamore as well? May look into that as well. Thanks

10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Here is the frame measurements hope this helps you - http://www.nastyz28.com/tech/framechk.html