1973 Camaro Restoration/Build- Bein Bad

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 7/3-SplitRS, May 5, 2017.

1. 7/3-SplitRS

7/3-SplitRS Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Steering box looks to be in good shape so I picked it up. Wasn't really planning on doing the steering box change but it seemed convenient enough. Guy I got it from had it on his 74 camaro.

May as well plan this task while I have the subframe out. Waiting on spring compressor to come in so i can finish disassembly of the frame. More to come 20170614_193552.jpg

2. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    For $75 looks like you paid a fair price. Gear box looks to be in good shape.

3. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    So, made a small amount of progress yesterday. Started disassembling the sub frame. Wheels off, brakes off, steering components off. Need to pick up a spring compressor then work on finishing the control arms. Then off to the blaster. 20170618_183749.jpg

4. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    My number one fan! AKA the wife. Love this lady, she made me feel very appreciated this weekend. Wouldn't want it any other way. Thankfully she puts up with my shenanigans!!! 20170618_183751.jpg

5. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    If you don't plan on saving or using the old springs you could just cut them with a grinder "old junk yard trick that i have used" just be sure to leave the shocks in as a safety measure.

6. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Thanks for the tip, for right now I think I will be sticking with the originals. Haven't really thought about upgrading or changing them out.

Last time I took these out I used the jack as my counter balance. Strap around the frame and then through the axle on the front of the jack. Worked well, but obviously there are safer ways.

7. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    I pulled apart two sub-frames and wrapped a chain around the a-arms then took a long extension and took the nut off the lower ball joint. It really wasn't that much pressure but the chain did contain the parts from flying even though I don't think they would go anywhere. Take the shocks out first or you will be sorry.

8. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Yeah the last time I did it even with the lower control arms all the way down I had a difficult time getting the spring out. Finally I had to help it along, it came out with some force but nothing like I thought it would. After using the spring compressors to put them back in I decided probably would be better to use them to take it apart. Hope I get the control arms apart without damaging my ball joints considering they are all new. We'll see.