1973 Camaro Restoration/Build- Bein Bad

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 7/3-SplitRS, May 5, 2017.

1. 7/3-SplitRS

7/3-SplitRS Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    I am sending two 350 4 bolt main blocks to the engine shop to get checked out. Hot tanked, etc. Once I talk with my engine guy about what I have there for bore sizes or what not then I need to make a decision as to what block to go with. I know that some blocks had higher contents of certain metals that people say made them stronger. I believe one of them is a 020 not sure of the other. I will build the better block.

Forged internals.
    Low compression somewhere around/at/or below 9:1. (any advice, anybody?)
    Cam??? I have heard Nitrous cams are good for this setup (Totally unsure of right now)
    Good set of Aluminum heads.
    Then I will need front accessories again such as alternator and water pump as I sold the others. Also starter.
    decent headers from which I received the part number from Branbell (thanks!).
    Still unsure of whether or not I will go 4 speed or 400 trans.

That will at least get me headed in the right direction.

2. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Sounds like you have a good start.
    For the compression you should be ok with this sized blower and no more than 7lbs of boost I run 9:1 or a bit more and is fine with premium gas.
    I do run World Product sportsman II cast heads they have held up so far but Aluminum heads would be better.
    You can get away with a mild cam as well just remember in order to produce the boost you can't keep the valves open to long.

7/3-SplitRS likes this.
  3. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    In 1973 Camaro RS came with extra crash support bars. This is a 73 only. Here is a picture of the long bar. Most aftermarket hoods will not clear the long bars so they go with the standard 18" bar. The long bars are 26" and are very hard to find if you are missing them. IMG_0871.JPG

7/3-SplitRS likes this.
  4. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Thanks Bandit for the words of advice.

5. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    I see what you are saying McCune. Thanks for the insight, I was on the right track with thinking it was those bars. Mine do have the 18 inch bars. So, were they changed somewhere along the lines? Who knows. I really at this point wish the fisher tag was still on the cowl, but apparently it was removed or lost in the past 40 plus years. Vin is there obviously, is there any other way to find out all of the other info on the vehicle without that tag???

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Hidden vin number should be by the heater motor.

74z-hv.jpg

7. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL

8. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Yes I have read about that Vin location. I will be finding that pretty soon as I clean up the firewall. But I'm guessing that wont tell me much about the car, like original paint color, interior, etc? I believe the original paint color to be "Chamois"....

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Contact the GM Heritage center - https://gmheritagecenter.com/index.html they might be able get you a build sheet based on your vin number. will cost you 50 bucks. Thought i had their number i will look for it.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  10. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I have a similar set up in my 1979 Z-28 RS.The engine has 8:01 compression.(That should be the maximum. ) Crane hydraulic roller cam. Eldelbrock Performer (prototype) aluminum cylinder heads. 2.05 /1.60 valves.Crane stud girdles.Speed Pro Timing chain.Chevy Bow Tie block .bored 040 over ,Stroker crankshaft. Milodon 8 qrt road race pan. Moroso windage tray.Melling high volume oil pump. The cubic inches work our to 377 cubic inches. modified HEI distributor .with Crane HI-6TR (Its like a MSD box.) modified Holley 830 CFM vacuum secondary carb.Big tube headers 2 1/2 exhaust. Weiand 144 mini blower .It has the smallest upper blower pulley on top.and the biggest crank pulley. It make around 500 HP. with 15lbs plus of boost. With a Super T-10 4 speed (2:64 1st.) 3:42 8.5 10 bolt. I hope any of this helps you. good luck on your build.

Attached Files: