1973 Camaro Restoration/Build- Bein Bad

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 7/3-SplitRS, May 5, 2017.

1. 7/3-SplitRS

7/3-SplitRS Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Update* Have been getting some work done here and there on the car. Subframe should be back from powdercoating soon. Car is almost stripped. Just need to complete the trunk area and glass. Still need to source a few items. Would like to stay with oem if possible.

73 rs radiator support. (Thought i read the rs rad support was different than the others?)
    73 rs drivers front fender
    73 rs drivers door.

Will upload a few pictures of the progress.

Thanks for viewing.

2. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    What to do about the dynamat... floor looks to be in good shape. No rust holes or anything. Guessing I will have the body sandblasted as is and see how it turns out, really not wanting to try and get all that out as I 20171112_170144.jpg 20171112_170132.jpg am sure there is no easy way.

3. 79supergasdriver

79supergasdriver A Scholar and a Gentleman

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    Dynamat is good stuff and really does quiet down and insulate the car. I would leave it especially if the floors are solid. As for the heat question, I pulled all the climate control out of my first 79 thinking I wouldn't need it to go racing but my work schedule changed and I can't go to the track any more. I found out very quickly how much I needed defrost, even on cool dewy summer mornings, to drive the car safely. My current 79Z build I eliminated the giant AC box in favor of a more compact fiberglass heat-only version.

4. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Hello all,

Happy new year to everyone. Work has been moving slowly on the Camaro. I did have the sub frame blasted and powder coated a satin black, it turned out really nice and I was pretty happy to get that part done! Car is nearly 95% disassembled. Only items left are front/rear windshield, sub box in trunk, rear lights and bumper. probably a few other pieces here and there but it is mostly complete.

I will post some pictures of the sub frame. Will post some other pictures of the progress later. Next steps is complete teardown and put the car on the rotisserie. Then it will be blasted and primed. Thanks for checking in.

5. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
    The sub frame turned out very nice!

6. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
  7. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Do yourself a huge favor and get RID of mechanical cooling fan

8. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    I have no plans to use a mechanical fan again. The next motor will need more cooling anyway. Plus it may be a tight fit!

Only thing left to do is pull the glass. mount on rotisserie and pull whatever is left from the bottom of car. Then off to the blaster. Sure would be nice to have this thing back on wheels by mid summer or beginning of fall. Then work on body work etc. We will see.

Waiting for Jefferson Swap Meet end of the month to hopefully locate some needed panels.

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Yeah can't wait to go to the Jefferson swap meet either. Need a few odds and ends as well.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018