1973 Camaro Restoration/Build- Bein Bad

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 7/3-SplitRS, May 5, 2017.

1. 7/3-SplitRS

7/3-SplitRS Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Thread Post 100!

Well some good news! After using a Tram gauge to measure the sub-frame, it measures square! It also measures square with the body mounts on the car, so I will be able to use this frame with no issues. Next step is disassembling the car for blasting. I am going to have it all done at once, so I need to get to work! Guess I better buy some baggies to put all the nuts, bolts, and small parts in so I don't forget everything I do. That and lots of pictures. Need to locate a good OEM drivers fender and driver door. Fender and door have a little too much repair work done already and the door hinge mount has seen some significant damage at some point. I would like to get this all blasted and primed before winter, so I can start working on reassembly over the cold months. Now that I have the frame monkey off of my back, guess I have no excuses. Will continue posting as project goes.

2. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Good News!!! - Looking forward to seeing your progress

3. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Well, finally did make some progress on the car this weekend. First I had to get my snowmobile out of the way, built a ramp system to stack the sleds up for more space saving as mine is limited. Then had a chance to start tearing down the firewall components. some progress, not much but some. Need to get inside the car and start getting to the bolts for the Booster and such so I can pull the rest this week. Will post some picture in a few.

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
  5. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Used a floor jack to get it lifted up, then some spacers to hold it up and repeated process. Next will be to add a winch plate to the ceiling across the rafters and then some eyelets on the stand to winch it up into place. For now two 4x4 posts lag bolted to keep it secured as feet.

Thanks.

6. sickfast1964

sickfast1964 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Corinth, Tx
    Nice work so far. I also am in the process of restoring my 73 Z

7. Dad's 73 camaro

Dad's 73 camaro Member

May 9, 2011
    port saint lucie, fl
    Looks good!! Finished my 73 a few years back. Looking forward to the progress.

8. 7/3-SplitRS

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Finally! I actually had a chance to work on the car this weekend. Spent a good 3 hours on disassembly. Got the heater fired up in the garage and tore into it. Removed the doors, steering column, dash, wiring harness for interior and trunk, brake booster, windshield wiper motor and arms, carpet and most interior plastics. Now I need to get back in there and properly store said pieces so I don't lose them. I have been bagging all fasteners and small items and tagging them. I felt good after getting some work done. I guess it had been awhile since I worked on it, I could tell because a mouse had found a way to make a nest in the trunk lid hinge area at some point. Time flies. But hopefully I am back on track now. Need to keep the momentum.

9. Crazy4camaro

Crazy4camaro Veteran Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Greenville SC
    Not sure if you need it still, I have a 1972 ss subframe with all the factory parts no damage . Complete with steer box, sway bar, brakes ,control arms.