1973 Camaro - LS Swap

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Roggie, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Roggie

Roggie New Member

Jun 24, 2014
    United States
    Hey guys,

I've finally decided to start my project! I'm going to use this thread to track my progress (and probably ask a TON of questions!).

The car: I bought this car about three years ago from my aunt, who bought it new in the Spring of 1973. It's a base model (SC) that came with a 2-barrel on a 350 with the Saginaw 3-speed manual. It's seen a few modifications over the years, but nothing to extreme, so as it currently sits, it's approximately stock. She has maintenance and fuel logs for the car going all the way back to the day she took delivery. Pretty cool.

The goal: My goal with the car is to turn it into a very fun street car that is also competent enough for track-days.

The project: The first step towards accomplishing this goal is a powertrain swap. I'm done with carburetors and Gen 1 small blocks. I'm going to start disassembling the car in October of 2017, and hope to have it driving on the road again in May of 2018.

The engine I will swap in is going to be a 5.3L LM7, with a T56 5 speed behind it. For this project, I'm going to keep the investment in the engine itself as low as possible, and give priority to everything else. The reason is because in the long-term the I will be upgrading the engine again in a few years to something Aluminum.

A link to my shared photo album is below (Photobucket seems like a joke?):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hc9sFkirSw00ydF02

2. aps63

aps63 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 4, 2007
    N.J.
    Sounds like a great start, I'm doing a similar project to my 70.
    Good luck with it.

3. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    Keep us updated.

I have a '73 with Ls3/TR6060

4. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    welcome to 2nd gen family...building a lm7 myself ..just a thought the 706 heads you have are not as good as others

5. imperialbluz28

imperialbluz28 New Member

Oct 17, 2013
    owensboro, kentucky
    what will you be doing for the computer and wiring harness to gauges? ive debated doing this to my 80 for a long time now.

6. LtRsZ

LtRsZ Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Have any pictures to share?

7. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Sounds like a great project! That is great that you have all the information on the car from when it was first purchased. Looking forward to seeing lots of pics as you make progress on your car.