1972 Z28 Tribute or a clone is a clone

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by diablonut59, Dec 5, 2017 at 12:43 AM.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Better how?

2. diablonut59

diablonut59 New Member

Aug 9, 2013
    detroit, michigan
    Oh Heck yeah man! I got to think a 72 Z28 clone from a legit documented 79 Z28 is better than a 72 Z28 clone from some plain old beater 73 Camaro? I've been restoring any car from a driver to a Concours first place winner for 30+ years it's really easy to get upside down. Real world shows us restoring an old car isn't like the television shows where a group of techs gets a truckload of brand new parts from some supplier like Classic Industries who charge top dollar for everything new. A simple few rust holes patched and paint job and they want $15,000+ My 73 Camaro doner yielded a nice pile of sheet metal including a clean roof. 72 correct doors, brackets etc. These alone would nickle and dime the average Joe Consumer. I've seen people with 85,000 into a factory grade restoration and that doesn't include the car. Obsurd and very ridiculous in my book. Rule of thumb for me is if I can recover my parts, materials, and cost of the car it's a good day. Of course all my labor I am willing to trade for a number of years of enjoying the car. Most days though I will recover some of my labor from the car. Like you said, you have to be smart and not walk into this thing with your checkbook wide open to every character who wants all your money.

3. diablonut59

diablonut59 New Member

Aug 9, 2013
    detroit, michigan
    I'm sure 95% of anyone reading my post feels I'll lose money on the deal. When I say better I mean value wise, it will never be worth what a real deal 72 Z28 would be, that's a given. Would someone consider it more important to use an actual Z28 but different year. Or does the year matter more. Now mind you the rear half of the car will look exactly like a 1972.

4. BonzoHansen

Its a fake, so forget the whole the 79 is a real z28 deal. That does doesn't matter. Of course it will never be worth as much as a real 72. Because it would be a 79.

5. diablonut59

diablonut59 New Member

Aug 9, 2013
    detroit, michigan
    Well alright then, I never thought the tribute or clone cars would ever garner so much ill feelings. You just answered my question. Been in the professional restoration biz for over 30 years, I think I know my business pretty good.

6. BonzoHansen

No ill will, just answering the question. The fact the 79 is a real z has no bearing on the value of what you are looking to do.

7. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    Some of the purists here REALLY dont like clones or tribute cars. but yeah the 79 z28 factor goes out the window when you chop it up. A 79z wasnt ever going to be worth much anyway.

8. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    The value of the 'rubber bumper' cars is increasing steadily.

9. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    I agree the value of the 79 Z28 is increasing but if it's just a shell with no matching drivetrain then the value is gone... Just modify it and do what you want with it! In the end it would be titled as a 79 Camaro that looks like a 70-73 Camaro.