1972 RS survior

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by mikess68, Jan 16, 2019.

1. mikess68

mikess68 been there and back

Jan 16, 2019
    portland, tn
    magic2.jpg Picture1.jpg Picture8.jpg Picture9.jpg new here,
    just got a 1972 rs one owner, little ole lady car, (really!). got it off her son by trading a 93 conv. vette. she is in an extended stay facility. car is southern and been kept in garage since new.

original paint, interior, carpet, under hood, original wide 0 spare tire on rally wheel, never been on the ground, still have painted number on tread AND is not dry rotted. 87K, 307 th350, air, ps, pb, vinyl top, am/fm, rear defogger, wood grain dash, exactly how the general made it. only part not original is muffler and carb. (2bbl) and floor mats. all the books, paper work and etc. (anyone need a pic of anything unrestored just let me know)

SOoo... big question. has leaky valve covers and valve seals (at mechanic now for that) has a few parking lot dings, and the drivers seat is brittle and split. have new seat skins for front seat, will keep original in box. Do I Paint it or not? some say leave it as it, some say paint it. I don't plan to sell it so leaning to paint it. tks Mike

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Nice find!! Little hard to tell from the pictures, however, maybe a good buff with the right compound may make it shine again like a diamond in a goats,,,, HAA HA , and I really like these cars with vinyl tops !!

3. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2011
    South Eastern Ontario
    Congrats, nice car ! As far as paint, make it the way that it keeps you happy. You're the person owning/driving/paying for it so really it is your preference. If it was a Z28 or SS and you could see selling it in the immediate future you would likely be wise to leave it as is. I wish I had never sold my 70 1/2 RS !

4. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    I would look into saving the paint especially since its an easy color to touch up if you can get a good match. Look into even having a paintless dent guy try to correct the dings. Those guys are amazing.

I bought a survivor 73 LT non RS in the same paint scheme. It did have some body issues that necessitated paint but I went with the same color and top.

5. mikess68

mikess68 been there and back

Jan 16, 2019
    portland, tn
    all good info. the prev owner used "new" touch up paint on the spots which was not faded and really stands out. then painting some touch up on lacquer some would look new, some old, even is same color matched. it also has roadmaps in the laq when you look real close, like with reading glasses. I think I drive it in the spring and hit a few cruse ins and go from there. still leaning toward painting today. it won't be laq, it will have to be clear and base. but I have till mid summer to decide. thanks! Mike

6. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    Welcome to the forum. Nice find

7. ZeeTwoEight

ZeeTwoEight New Member

Jan 15, 2017
    That's awesome! Nice find.

8. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010