1971z Sunflower Yellow w/ White Stripes

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by kiser71z, Dec 21, 2012.

1. kiser71z

kiser71z Member

Feb 14, 2011
    York, PA
    I'll soon be ready to have my 1971 z painted. Currently, the car is yellow with black stripes. I checked the trim tag and the paint color indicates Sunflower Yellow (52). the code for the stripes is 11 which translates to white stripes. I checked the documentation that I have from GM of Canada and it lists option ZR8 - Hood and Deck Lid Stripe White.

[​IMG]

Now to my question, has anyone seen a Sunflower Yellow Camaro with white stripes? I was planning on painting the car the original colors, but I just can't imagine in my head what a Sunflower Yellow car with white stripes would look like. This has to be a rare color combination. I would appreciate if anyone has any pictures of such a color combination to post them so I can see what it looks like before I make my decision. Any suggestions would also be appreciated. Thank you.

2. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    seems to me that unless you are making a street rod, and based on how nice the cowl looks around the trim tag, the ONLY way to go is what it WAS when it was new ....

Besides, that Transformer "bumblebee" thing is getting old, dare to be correct/different

I DO remember seeing them that color and thought they were good looking ... I assume you are keeping it correct for the 779 interior as well?

3. ggtsvnv

ggtsvnv Veteran Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Reno NV,
    I have not seen one with that color combination in years. I used to know of one a friend owned in the 1980's and I thought it looked really nice. Sorry I don't have a picture of my friends old one but I know I would paint it back that way if it were me.

4. hmbldr

hmbldr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Just a thought, but the Sunflower yellow has a slight greenish tint to it. You might consider a slightly different yellow or have them mix the green out of it.

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    im a big fan of the white stripe cars . you definitly don't see too many .

6. 3504SPD

3504SPD Veteran Member

I think that car in the picture looks good. Go with that combination. IMO

7. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Castro Valley CA
  8. kiser71z

kiser71z Member

Feb 14, 2011
    York, PA
    Thanks for posting the picture. I tried doing a search and came up empty. I actually started photo-shopping a car with a black stripe. I gotta be honest, I'm not sure I like the look of the white stripes. Maybe I'll just leave the stripes off totally. Not sure. I have a couple of months to make a final decision.

I've kept the interior the original color. The only thing different for the interior is that I installed a standard interior. Someone installed deluxe door panels which according to the info I have from GM Canada was not original.