1971 z28 rs ebay sothern cali Anyone know it

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by johnsjmc, Feb 26, 2012.

1. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    ...plus what poor video and graphics = joke

2. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2011
    eastern NC
  3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Why were there only 2 bids on the car? That tells you something.

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    For sure call your credit card company quick. I think Discover has an agreement with Paypal that they don't do chargebacks but other Cos. probably do.

5. johnsjmc

johnsjmc New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Canada, Florida
    I called my credit card company first. They told me they won,t reverse a charge to paypal.
    Paypal opened and shut the case because I didn,t pay in full for the item with paypal.
    Now I have opened a case with Ebay claiming seller misrepresentation and his inability to ship the "complete" item as specified in the listing.
    The internet is amazing. I searched for any reference material I could find on Utube ,google etc with the car and sellers name and didn,t find a thing.

After watching the video If I ever get the car(which I,m still trying to cancel) I will need to have it steam cleaned to remove the pimple cream and probably other fluids from the interior.
    The close up pics of underhood I,ve now received show. A set of 186 heads on the block so even if original block They certainly aren,t original heads. also his LT1 valve covers have a screw cap not rubber plug so those are likely wrong for a Sept 71 build also.
    If he had been truthful upfront instead of trying to tell me I didn,t know what I was talking about .He might still have sold the car. A set of early LT1 heads on a flat top piston 71 motor gets about 10:1 CR and along with a solid cam makes a nice street motor.(Although there are better solid cams than the old Chevy designs available today).

6. johnsjmc

johnsjmc New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Canada, Florida
    I really never expected to get the car with my bid.I only bid $500 above the other bidder at the last minute. I knew the description was all mixed up which is why I tried to pin the seller down BEFORE the auction end about the exact details of what he was selling.
    He convinced me to place a bid with his assurance of the existance of the original block,heads,trans,carb,intake ,distributor, factory tach(broken or othewise) and build sheet. The problem is now none of that equipment exists.

7. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I really don't understand the way eBay and PayPal work. I know that both Co are now owned by the same owner which doesn't help. I think both are crooks with the % of fees they collect/auction, but that's another story.

If none of the equipment exists, that's enough evidence to a blind man to shut this case down and award your deposit back. :confused:

8. johnsjmc

johnsjmc New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Canada, Florida
    The way ebay works is They want you to work out anything between buyer seller . In the event of a problem they lead you to believe you are protected but have layers of fine print before you can actually get a reimbursement.
    Paypal advertizes paypal buyer protection but gets out because the car wasn,t paid in full with paypal.
    Ebay buyer protection is invoved now and we will see what they can do.
    I,ve asked for my deposit back and if that can,t happen then an adjustment in view of the missing equipment in the listing.
    At the very least I need an original correct list number 19 71 Holley carb,correct 1971exhaust manifolds . And his email to me during the auction said he had original block and heads.
    My biggest concern now if I am forced to complete the purchase at a reduced price for the missing stuff is the car will arrive and then I will find even more missing/bogus stuff. His build sheet might not even be from this body,his numbers matching trans may be from a 1974. etc etc etc etc .
    I made an offer based on a description both written and verbal which sounded good. In the end you can only confirm the written stuff .
    He has been unable or unwilling to provide the proof of his written description.
    The proof he has offered has only proven him wrong. My main issue is the heads and block carb and intake . After the auction The 3 letter code is shaved off when it was decked. That wasn,t disclosed nor is it in writing that it was ever there. My question during the auction was what code is on the pad and he told me CGP. That was verbal,but I have an email saying original block and heads. Heads turn out to be 186 casting from Apr 70. Block an 010 from Nov 3 71. He had the gall to tell me that was consistant with a 1971 Sept built LA car because of the strike. Obviously the Flint engine plant used a" time tunnel" to deliver a Nov. block to LA for a Sept car.

9. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    So reading the above, are you saying that if you paid in full, you would have received a refund by now? If so, I see no difference, a down payment or a full payment. The bottom line we know is the car is not what the description stated which = a refund.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  10. x77-69z28

x77-69z28 Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2010
    long island, new york
    the video didnt show much of the alledged Z28, unless it was when it was pitch black! after seeing that video, i wouldnt buy anything from him. THAT VIDEO sucked!!!!! there's 7 minutes of my life i will never get back. he has to be the youngest professor in UCLA history. do not under any circumstances buy that car! worst case scenario, you lost two grand and learned a valuable lesson. ask questions FIRST, and have the car inspected before you buy it. good luck with this. keep us informed.