1971 z28 rs ebay sothern cali Anyone know it

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by johnsjmc, Feb 26, 2012.

1. johnsjmc

johnsjmc New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Canada, Florida
    I have won a 1971 Z28 RS blue with black stripes in Cali. Located in Pasadena and Walnut Ca.The seller works at UCLA and also has a 1966 Chevelle SS Looks good in pics but owner is avoiding engine casting number details. He says rebuilt LT1 with original block heads,intake and carb. Decked block so 3 letter code is missing. Build sheet says 330 hp. fairly convinced real z28 BUT not yet convinced about the motor. Anyone know the car?? The seller might post here too but I don,t know his user name if he does.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2011
    eastern NC
    what did you pay ?

3. mudtrux

mudtrux Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 7, 2000
    central MN
    So you're asking after you won the auction?????:screwup:

4. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    I can tell you that Pasadena and Walnut are not adjacent - close but not adjacent. You'd need to look at casting numbers and casting dates to get an idea if the motor is even close in the absence of build dates, partial VIN and suffix.

Not to pile on but I would think these are the due diligence items you might have looked at before bidding on and winning the auction.

5. johnsjmc

johnsjmc New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Canada, Florida
    There are due diligence items I did inquire about. Seller stated he has a build sheet showing 330 hp and F41. He stated to me that engine had been rebuilt with original block and heads.He had the original valve covers,intake,exhaust ,carb and distributor in storage.All in writing before the listing ended.Car has RS front end and correct looking wheels,air filter 4speed delux interior 6500 rpm tach etc. Problem is the engine. He read me the 3 letter code (V-11 05 CGP) from a notebook he had on the car. Then after winning he tells me the engine has been decked during rebuild. We all know what that could mean.Since it(the code) is missing now it,s like a body missing the finger prints. Now I need casting numbers and dates to do a DNA test.
    I sent an appraiser over to look at the car and his almost unreadable build sheet. He forgot to bring it. The appraiser says nice car worth what I am paying or more. Perhaps BUT perhaps not. I have asked the seller to provide me with the casting dates and part numbers from the block,heads,intake and list number from the carb. He now cant find the exhaust manifold and distributor but apparently has located the intake,carb and covers The seller is stalling or very busy with other stuff. I have sent a deposit but am looking for any local feedback before jumping to any wrong conclusions . I expect the car is a nice legit Z28 He also put in writing "not a clone" BUT I am leaning more and more to a replaced engine. Car is stored at his parents place in Pasadena and his listing address is Walnut Ca.

6. flowjoe

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    His prevarication is certainly off-putting. I'd be a little upset if I were you too. Not knowing what you paid it's hard to say whether you should push forward or not but all of those "advertised" items now being "misplaced" could lead to some remorse down the road (unless the price was very good to start with).

Most build sheets are tough to read if they exist at all. I'd offer to go look for you but it's at least 2 hours one way from here.

7. flowjoe

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    BTW, did the seller provide any photo documentation of the items which he stated he had?

8. johnsjmc

johnsjmc New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Canada, Florida
    He sent a pic of the tach and one of the build sheet . The build sheet is not readable in a photo. His other stuff was lost in storage but apparently he has the carb,intake,and covers now. I have asked for casting data and a clear statement that it isn,t a clone and it has the original engine in it. He says first he will get on it asap then that he will send it with the title after the full payment arrives. I will pm anyone with sellers name but think it unfair to post on a public forum .

Attached Files:

9. johnsjmc

johnsjmc New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Canada, Florida
    Paying just over 18k .Seemed like a fair price with original rebuilt lt1 BUT How much is a z28 without the original engine depreciated?

10. flowjoe

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Unfortunately those pictures are too small to be of any use (I cannot expand them)