1971 Full Floor pan tips and tricks anybody?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Charlie Moore, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Charlie Moore

Charlie Moore Member

Jan 6, 2017
    green bay wi
    Hey guys and Girls, Newbie to this site, I have a 71 camaro, anybody have any tips or advice on how i should do it or watch out for if any? Few pictures , Sorry took them at night. floorpan1.jpg floorpan2.jpg

2. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Litchfield, NH
    Welome to the site. Do a search and read some of the other members build threads.
    In general, brace the car if you are cutting out all of the floor. How is the trunk? I bought entire trunk and floor complete with braces. I made a jig based on the original car and then used it when installing the floor and trunk in all one piece. There are a lot of details and much more expertise than I can provide but that was the basic I learned as I went.

3. Charlie Moore

Charlie Moore Member

Jan 6, 2017
    green bay wi
    Hey Dan, yeah my trunk needs to be done as well, I have it on a rotisserie right now, but was told to put it on jack stands and brace it. I just want to make sure that I'm doing it right the first time. Thank you for your reply Dan!

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    Fred Flintstone hole!! Going to need spot weld cutters, Harbor Fright has good ones, get a hand full of them, 4 or 5. Find the spot weld, drill a small gide hole in the center then cut it out. Don't go all the thru the metal just enough to remove the panel. Spot welds are sometimes hard to find. The one you can't find you can pry between the 2 with a flat blade screwdriver to fine them. I didn't buy a compleat floor pan, I did mine in sections. My transmission tunnel was good. I'm guessing you don't have sub frame connectors installed. If you did then I wouldn't worry about the straightness of the body. I don't think I'd use jackstands when welding in floor pans, I'd rather have it sitting level on the tires. If you do it in sections it might not be a problum. One tip is prepare the bottom of each floor pan cause you would be able to paint the underside once its welded in. Lay the new floor pan on top of the old pan before you take it out try to force the new pan down into the old one an a trace a line around the whole pan. Then your going to have to guess how far down the new pan will sit, maybe 1 in. maybe 1/2 in. Then draw a new line below the one you traced, this will be the line you cut onto. Used a grinder with cutoff wheels. DONT LET THE SPARKS HIT ANY GLASS!!! Use hex head self tappers to hold down the new pan when welding it in.

5. Charlie Moore

Charlie Moore Member

Jan 6, 2017
    green bay wi
    The only problem is, I only have the body. So I can either leave it on the rotisserie ? The car did have some homemade connectors from the front to the rear from the previous owner. The car has been sitting for over 20+ years from who I bought the body from. That would be great idea to trace the pan !