1970 Z28 national press showing car

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by clm69z28, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clm69z28

clm69z28 Member

Oct 29, 2011
    encinitas ca
    I have come across a 70 Z that has a national press showing notification on the bottom of the build sheet. What is the significance of this and is there any additional information available on this topic? Thanks

2. Z-WIZZ

Z-WIZZ Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2004
    FLA
    sounds interesting, can you scan and post? where was car shipped/sold?

3. clm69z28

clm69z28 Member

Oct 29, 2011
    encinitas ca
    Sorry, can't get it to post for some reason. It states "National Press Showing Deliver by February 9th". The car was delivered to Hansen Chevrolet in Los Angeles.

4. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Sounds very interesting... what is the build date on the cowl tag and the VIN?
    I can post picture if you want to email it to me. What condition is the car in?

5. clm69z28

clm69z28 Member

Oct 29, 2011
    encinitas ca
    Sorry about not responding. The seller wouldn't give me a copy of the build sheet so I could post it. From what I learned over on Camaros.org, there were quite a lot of cars that were built for press viewings so it wasn't that unusual.

6. Z-WIZZ

Z-WIZZ Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2004
    FLA
    maybe cars that had a little extra QC for press photo shoots

7. Avanti

Avanti New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Mississippi
    I assume you are referring to the 1970 RS / Z28 on eBay right now (see link below). According to GM Archives (and I confirmed this myself with one of their curators) there were only six Z28's assigned to be part of a "National Press Showing", which took place in Van Nuys, CA (right outside the Assembly Plant's "New Car Prep Lot") in early February. The car being offered for sale was #3 of the six cars and the only one finished in "Citrus Green Poly". It was fitted with a manufacturer plate "34F 015".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181600573389

I take it that the current owner used these two details listed in GM's documentation to locate the photos of the car in various period publications including the cover of the May 1970 issue of Motorcade magazine. It must have been a thrill to find that not only was your car used as a GM Press Vehicle but actually made it on the cover of a magazine.

[​IMG]

As an aside, I also noticed that the car appeared on the cover of my reprint Wiring Diagram from Classic Industries.

[​IMG]

- Chris

8. Avanti

Avanti New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Mississippi
    Here is the original build sheet I lifted from the eBay auction. You'll notice the special instructions "National Press Showing - Del by February 9".

According to the Lead Archivist at the GM Heritage Center, less then two dozen 1970 Chevrolets were reserved by GM's Marketing Department for Press Showings - six of which were Camaro Z28's. Now I would say that makes the car pretty unusual, wouldn't you?

- Chris

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  9. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

The FACT that this above 70' Z-28 was repainted the INCORRECT Forest Green was a huge $$$$ mistake by someone.

The press showing info is interesting and "cool" but the cost to repaint this Camaro the correct CITRUS GREEN will be significant $$$$

I didn't study everything closely but does this Z-28 have the born with eng or ????

10. Avanti

Avanti New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Mississippi
    Actually "Forest Green Poly" was not, as you so subtly put it, an INCORRECT color. It was, in fact, a factory-correct color for the 1970 Camaro. I think what you meant to state was that it's not the car's original color. Be that as it may, the current owner appears to have preferred it to "Citrus Green Poly" and I can't say I blame him. I sent the seller a message asking if he had any older images of the car he could post to the listing. I'd be interested to see it's condition prior to the '07 respray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.