1970 Z28 floor mounted gas pedal info

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by COPO, Sep 12, 2008.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I was talking to 2 guys at the GM Autofest this past Aug and both ordered new 1970 Z28's and still own them today, but the cars were not there since they are from the Ottawa area. One car came with the floor plate mounted pedal and the other guys Z did not. Food for thought. :eek:

2. 70COPO

70COPO Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Chillicothe Ohio
    I recall a story published in the old USCC (I think) that recounts a story of a late car coming through from the factory with both installed.

Do you remember this story? :happy:

3. DANZ

DANZ Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Purcellville,Va.
    This late car had BOTH installed??????????:bowtie:

4. rickcact

rickcact Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Thompson Ct. USA

Before break the guy istalled the floor mounted one. After break, he installed the other one. Could happen.

5. White81Z

White81Z Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2004
    NY
    I would like to know how you could physically have both gas pedal assemblys installed??? Come on!

Rick H.

6. rickcact

rickcact Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Thompson Ct. USA

OH thats right, the hinge point is in the same place!!! LOL

7. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Funny you mention that. At one of the Camaro National show at the GM Head Qtrs bld, some guy in a 70 gold Z he bought new had the floor mounted pedal and another pedal that was hung. I dought he ever saw WOT. I think I have a pic of it too.

8. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I'll see if I can find the pic.
    Nope, couldn't find it, maybe I didn't take the pic cause we were laughing so hard.
    It was a gold R/S Z28 with black stripes and the lower 1/2 door stensil pattern in black. He said they were all adding it in the early 70's.
    I only found a front view photo.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  9. Eliminator SS

Eliminator SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 14, 2002
    South East, Nebraska
    Ooh, I cannot wait to see this one. lol
    It blows my mind how people just cant accept the fact that these cars were not hand built European cars, but in fact they were actually made on an assembly line. On an assembly line where the workers were not necessarily the happiest union workers in the world, and ya know stuff happens.

I used to run into this stuff with the Mustang club my brother USED to be a member of. Where the concourse MCA guys would just tear up guys that said certain items came on the car from the factory and the MCA guys wouldnt hear it.

10. Alex71RS

Alex71RS Veteran Member

Feb 13, 2000
    Apple Valley, CA 92307
    Definately could happen. Most of the assembly workers have their brains on auto-pilot because the job is so mundane. My brother works for Ford on the Super Duty line, and he said it can happen very easily. The line worker has to really review the build sheet and grab the right part out of the right bin. I think alot of interesting dialogue has been spent arguing the point, and I laugh at the experts who swear up and down that it's not possible. When parts shortages occur and the line is going to be held up because the gas pedal shipment didn't arrive, then I'll bet the car got whatever was a suitable substitute. I pulled the oil pan off of my '76 Chevy truck when it came time to rebuild the original 350, and it had a nitrided crank in it. The pan had never been removed until that point. Explain that one.

Also, remember the assembly line moves at a pretty good pace, and if the worker installed the wrong gas pedal in the car, do you think that he really cares enough to put the right one in, when all he sees is a long line of cars ready to come into his station? When the line stops, it costs the company money.