1970 Z28 Fender Emblem Location

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by TEDDYS CAMARO, May 25, 2007.

1. TEDDYS CAMARO

TEDDYS CAMARO Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2006
    GRAND HAVEN, MICHIGAN
    Does Anybody Know Wherethe Z28 Emblem Mounting Holes Are Located On A 1970 Camaro. I Need To Drill The Holes For The Z28 Emblems. Thanks.

2. Steve73Z

Steve73Z Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 23, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    If you do a search, it's been discussed and I believe I even saw an image of a page out of the assembly manual in one of the posts. That page has all the measurements.

3. TEDDYS CAMARO

TEDDYS CAMARO Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2006
    GRAND HAVEN, MICHIGAN
  4. Ron Hooper

Ron Hooper New Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I also need the 1970 z28 fender location, where can I find it?

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    The fenders on a z28 are in the same location as a normal Camaro...on the front of the car next to the hood and behind the bumper!;)

OK, enough with my smart-a$$ levity.

How about here:

Capture.JPG

dave@ztech likes this.
  6. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    IF you do not know...
    A axis Horizontal - height from ground at curb weight.
    B axis Vertical - distance front or rear of the firewall
    Z axis DEPTH or distance from the centerline
    The A axis - THE HORIZONTAL 15 LINE is referencing the number of inches from the ride height on level ground with the car at curb weight.
    The B axis - VERTICAL 0 (ZERO) LINE is the front FACE of the firewall - NEGATIVE measurements are in front of the firewall Positive numbers are rearward
    The Z axis -THE LENGTHWISE 35 LINE is referencing the number of inches from the centerline to that reference line-

I use a laser which projects a line (not dot) and project off the vertical flange behind the hood hinge as my ZERO Firewall point - projecting then marking my vertical line on the inside of the fender. Then using a large point to point caliper (large C shaped which hinges in the center so the points come together in the same place) I transfer the line to the outside of the fender -
    The horizontal Reference line also needs to be indicated - check the assembly manual for ride height measurements to a fixed point and adjust from that point.

Next start the measurements...after I am done I tape a piece of paper down to the panel and mark all the break lines and edges so I do not have to go through the projections the next time... what makes a pain is the holes are in different places from side to side. (not emblem hole spacing amongst themselves but in regards to the reference lines because the emblem posts are not symmetrical nor centered to the overall emblem dimensions - (when doing the Camaro script plus the individual SS letters it is time consuming.)

jbloake likes this.
  7. BuzCrz

BuzCrz New Member

May 19, 2018
    Nothing like making things complicated...lol, can someone post a photo of an the emblem with a ruler indicating the measurement from the fender/door gap and from the fender crease...

8. gary bickel

gary bickel Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2013
    fort worth tex
    I made some templets for drilling them will loan them to you. Gary gbick.31@gmail.com

9. BuzCrz

BuzCrz New Member

May 19, 2018
    Thanks for your response...my neighbor has a 72 and I took the measurements today...2 Z28’s on the same street, he’s had his since 1977

10. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    At the factory there was a jig with the correct hole location pre determined. Clamp on the jig and drill ..