1970 wiring for water temp gauge and sensor type?

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by gookc, Aug 7, 2012.

1. gookc

gookc Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    HI
    I need help identifying my wiring harness and temp sensor for my 1970 camaro.
    I have a brand new U14 gauge wiring harness from Classic Industries.
    The water temp gauge wiring in the engine compartment, is on the passenger side and has a green wire with 2 spade terminal.
    I have seen other 1970 with one wire(green) type that is held on with a nut.
    All the wiring is new, and this is how it came from Classic Ind. Is this correct and what type of water sensor do I need?
    Any info, history, and pics would be helpful.
    Thank you

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    The sender on the pass side is not your water temp gauge sender, that's for the smog system.
    You want the single connector sending unit that uses a nut on the drivers side.

old orig and new
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  3. gookc

gookc Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    HI
    COPO

the wiring harness from classic does not have the temp wiring that you show in the picture.
    it only has the 2 spade terminal like last pic.
    Are you sure its for smog and not water temp?
    I heard that 73-74 had a 2 spade water sensor

Anyone else have info, history on these?

4. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Temp sender is definitely on driver's side. should be single green wire in heat resistant wrap coming off forward lamp harness portion of engine bay wiring.

5. gookc

gookc Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    HI
    too everyone, my humble apologies!
    I searched and found the correct temp wire hidden in the fender well.
    Thanks for the help.
    One more question: Do I need the 2 spade sensor on the passenger side? or can I delete it and plug the hole on the head?

6. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2004
    KY
    If you are NOT running the TCS system, your won't need. it.

7. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Just unplug the wire and leave the sender there. One day you may want to use it.

8. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    On a seperate note, Not sure about your Engine Harness, but the Water Temperature Sending units you now find at the local auto parts store are a button end type and do not have threaded studs where you hook up the wire. - I think some of the 1970 Camaro engine harnesses use this type, but the new engine harness I got from American Auto Wire used a wire with a loop terminal on the end for the screw on type connector. If your's is like that, you can order a water temp sending unit for a 1969 Camaro from Classis or somewhere similar, they will have the correct end so you can use it without having to modify the harness.
    -

9. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    GM Camaro Parts catalog part # 1993369 was used since 1967 with the threaded wire connector.