1970 SS built sheets

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by Daybed, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Daybed

Daybed New Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Hello all and thank you for welcoming me to your site. I have a 1970 Camaro SS which I acquired from the original owner about 10 years ago. Car had been sitting for over 20 years when I bought it. This car is 100% original and unmolested. So a few years after I bought it I decided to start digging for the built sheet which I found in the rear drivers side seat frame. When I discovered it, not only did I find one built sheet but two!! I’ve never seen this but both built sheets match the vehicles vin with the exception of the equipment. For example, one says my car is column shit the other says floor shift. Different color and trim as well. Has anyone ran into this before? What weirds me out is that both built sheets match my cars vin. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks

2. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    Welcome to nasty28. Post some pictures of build sheets? I have never personally seen 2 different sheets for the same car. But maybe after seeing them. It may provide a answer.

3. Daybed

Daybed New Member

Mar 6, 2018
    The car is at my shop. I will get some pictures today thanks

4. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    Look at the right upper corner for the vin and take a picture to post it? Possibly they could be 1 or 2 numbers different. Is the car a Vanuys built car? Norwood cars almost never have a build sheet.

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    This is a strange one, for sure. Maybe 70COPO could shed some light if he sees it. He knows the details at Norwood probably better than anyone alive.
    I suppose they could have made an initial sheet that got keyed to a different build (next car in line?) and cancelled it and re-ran the build sheet. The Fisher body side at Norwood delivered the car to the GMAD side and the build sheet got thrown in. Maybe even something to do with a Firebird-Camaro line transition. Just guessing. Looking at the old photos from the assembly lines, it looked like they built Camaros and Firebirds consecutively. You can see it at about 38 seconds in here:

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  6. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    ^ I think most of those cars are better looking by a country mile compared with what we have today.

7. Daybed

Daybed New Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Here’s pics of built sheets and my car. What you guys think?

Attached Files:

8. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Looks to me they are different vin numbers on each sheet. Looking in the upper right hand corner # 519508 and 519509, two different cars. Looks like you got a build sheet from the car before or after yours also. I may be wrong. Look in the lower left corner, the cars went to two different dealers also.

9. I agree with Green Hornet... two different Vins. Off by 1 digit.

10. Daybed

Daybed New Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Oh ok. I wasn’t looking at those numbers just the smaller numbers on the top right