1970 RS Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by aps63, Oct 5, 2011.

1. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

Sorry about that, I didn't look though the post to see what jack had posted.

2. aps63

aps63 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 4, 2007
    N.J.
    No problem, there's a ton of info out there.

3. aps63

Sep 4, 2007
    N.J.
    So the 700R4 is all rebuilt and back in the car.
    Took me longer then I had anticipated because I ended up replacing a few more parts that were not included in the rebuild kit.
    Got it back in and it was not locking up in fourth. Called Painless and they helped me figure out it was a bad solenoid. Shipped me a new one right away. Thanks Painless for the great customer service.
    Well worth the wait though, cruises down the highway great and has plenty of grunt down low. Hopefully if the weather stays nice today we will go out for a nice long blast.

4. Tokyo Torquer3

Tokyo Torquer3 Veteran Member

Oct 14, 2003
    NJ
    Hey Paul,

I am headed to Whiskey, tonight, if you are in the area. I try to make it 3-4 times a year.

mike

5. aps63

Sep 4, 2007
    N.J.
    Hi Mike,
    I was actually heading up there tonight too.
    I haven't been there at all this year.
    See you there.

6. aps63

Sep 4, 2007
    N.J.
    I have been thinking about building the next motor for the Camaro. Going back and forth between old school and new school.
    Looking through Craigs List last week and my mind was made up for me. An LQ4 for $550 five minutes from my house, after a little negotiating we settled on $400. I think it was a good deal. Everything looks in very good shape. I have a pretty modest goal of 400 to 450hp. Should be attainable without to much trouble. I hope. Early Christmas present.

[​IMG]

7. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    That's a great price and indeed a very modest goal. Consider milling your heads a little extra before throwing her back together, it's cheap horsepower because the heads should be refinished anyways.

8. aps63

Sep 4, 2007
    N.J.
    Thanks, I will probably go with L92 heads. I think that will raise the compression a little.

9. Tokyo Torquer3

Tokyo Torquer3 Veteran Member

Oct 14, 2003
    NJ
    It is very easy to get 500-520 hp out of an LS engine with a cylinder head/ hydro roller cam kit and maybe a throttle body. My stock 5.7 hemi in my RAM pickup truck is 395hp/ 410 ft lbs of torque (and gets 20 mpg on the highway).. so easy to make good drivable power with modern engines w/o even having to go to power adders. A lot easier to add these items before the engine gets stuck in the engine bay.

10. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    L92's and a small cam and you will be deep into the 500s !