1970 RS - A British Resto

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Cowman, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Cowman

Cowman Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    Thanks for the support! I'm slowly getting the thread up to date and making progress with the build. Getting the rust cut out is my number one priority, but I'm being careful to plan the build.

The rear axle cleaned up a treat and I've finished it with KBS paint.

[​IMG]

Plenty of parts turning up, starting to feel like a proper workshop!

[​IMG]

Got the rad support stripped, the original was rotted out but all the brackets were sound so have been swapped over, I'll sand blast these later.

[​IMG]

Picked up a set of new old stock arches, time for more chopping!

[​IMG]

New arch dropped in place, I'll weld this up later. Nice to see some new metal finally going on the build!

[​IMG]

It's nice to be getting some of my photos out there for you guys to see!

P.S. Twilight Cruiser, thanks for sharing the paint info!

2. masparks

masparks Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Gas, Kansas
    What a great write up!!! Thats alot of work,but like you said there's not many around anymore!!

Good job saving her!! Good luck!!!

3. Finally I know how the series is called.

I saw some few voice over translated on German TV. Was quite fun (in a good way) to see.
    Got a link to the complete source, so I can watch every episode in english, and when I want?

Sorry for thread jacking.

Your build and progress is awesome :eek: I'm stunned.

4. Cowman

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    So next on the agenda was the following...

[​IMG]

I deliberated for ages what to do with the rear rails as wasn't particularly keen on replacing them. In the end I decided that I'd come to regret it if I left them so when the new ones turned up it was time for more hacking...

[​IMG]

New one bolted in place using shock bucket bolts (the ones under the wheel arch)...

[​IMG]

I have to say I was nervous about how the fit would be. I've heard horror stories of the rails being miles out. I got these from Goodmark and the fit was superb, with only a bit of tweaking I was happy with the alignment. With this one bolted in place I got the other wheel arch done.

[​IMG]

And then I tackled the other rail, this one was considerably worse for some reason, the base of the rail was knackered, a sponge would have has more structural integrity! I noticed when cutting these out that both had been patched on the underside at some point. Glad I decided to replace them.

[​IMG]

Had a couple of minor repairs to do under the wheel arches where it had thinned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With these done I decided to do a nice easy job and weld up the rear arches now I was happy with alignments and fitment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really happy with the end result here, I ground flat the welds with an angle grinder and managed to give it a dusting of primer just to keep things tidy. The more primer I get on the better, it's much nicer to look at than rust!

5. luv2drift

luv2drift Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Centralpoint, OR
    very nice! one thing i have always thought is cool about restoring an old car is it usually comes out better than the factory made it. lol. keep it up. the more primer the better!

6. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Looking good, Thats one panel done and crossed off the to do-list :happy:

7. chevy-stu

chevy-stu Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2007
    london-england
    Wow... That's a huge project... BE great to see when it's up and going.

When it's all done get in touch as I'm always doing loads of car stuff between London and the South Coast. I'm a Goodwood breakfast Club regular and organise and attend lots of London drives too...

8. Twilight Cruiser

Twilight Cruiser Veteran Member

Dec 17, 2001
    the Netherlands
    Really great job, looks better every day.
    You say you bolted the new rear rails, isn't that supposed to be welded?

9. Cowman

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Twilight Cruiser - Well spotted! I bolted the frame rails up and clamped them in place. I wanted to check alignments before I committed to welding them up. I'll cover this over the next few posts.

chevy-stu - I'll be sure to keep in touch, once she's back on the road I'll be looking forward to cruising and attending meets! I want to try and take in a few shows this year, any you'd recommend?

I'll try and get some more updates on tomorrow.

10. Twilight Cruiser

Twilight Cruiser Veteran Member

Dec 17, 2001
    the Netherlands

Ok clear!