1970 RS - A British Resto

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Cowman, Jul 18, 2010.

1. INDEED

2. AMP

AMP Veteran Member

Hey, i watch Top Gear UK,i think its the greatest show!!U should totally try and get your car are their show when it's all finished;)

3. steve_1978

steve_1978 Veteran Member

May 5, 2010
    ontario canada
    DUDE!!!! you are by far the craziest person i have seen on here. that is one hell of alot of work, i wish you the best of luck and i will be watching your thread.

4. Cowman

Cowman Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    Thanks for the posts! More photos now, had a result on Ebay and picked up this 79 Trans Am roof from a guy who was cutting up his old car, such a shame but his loss is my gain! The roof is in superb condition and should save me a lot of work.

[​IMG]

Got the rear axle pulled too, some more peculiar things here, the two rear leaf sets do not match! I think the air shocks were installed to balance the rear out.

[​IMG]

Another shot of the rear. The eagle eyed will notice a new trunk assembly in the corner of the photo...

[​IMG]

Another Ebay result! Found a replacement RS from end some guy bought for a project then never used, I'm pretty sure that goes round here somehwere...

[​IMG]

Ok so I couldn't stand it any longer and found some metal to squirt with primer, the metal in these photos was solid and cleaned up a treat with a bit of time and attention, it's a small start but at least I'm now heading in the right direction.

[​IMG]

Looking at the rear end of this car you can appreciate how a wet environment can kill a car. I always try and look on the bright side, the main frame of the car in general is solid and a great foundation to build from, the floor pan is in good shape and will clean up nice and all the parts of concern are readily available.

The plan was to crack on and get the trunk pan installed but I have now made the decision that the rear frame rails are too far wasted for my liking, I have new frame rails on order and plenty to be getting on with in the mean time!

Thanks for your support!

5. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Thats quite a project you have started. Its a little overwhelming at first. But once the pieces start going back on the car, you will look foward to starting the next section to repair. And before long you will see an end to your battle with the rust. Be carefull how much you cut off the car with out with out welding in a few braces to insure it doesnt get out of shape. Keep the progress and the pics comming good job...

6. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Great work sessions in England!! Congratulations!!

7. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
  8. fbody_mike

fbody_mike Veteran Member

Reminds of something Ed China would say on Wheeler Dealers.

Seriously though, you are making some great progress. Keep at it!

9. Twilight Cruiser

Twilight Cruiser Veteran Member

Dec 17, 2001
    the Netherlands
    I get that question many times, here it is (it's a Mopar color...);
    [​IMG]

A paintguy should be able to fugure out the above.