1970 RS - A British Resto

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Cowman, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Cowman

Cowman Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    Thanks guys! Initially I was going to paint the car red but now I'm coming round to doing it in a green of some description, maybe a candy green, original colour with a twist?!

The vinyl won't be making a return that's for sure, I'm definately thinking factory stripe as an alternative to break the colour up, black sounds like a good shout, although an 'off-white' or cream is also appealing. If I went with a black stripe I could pair that with black/polished rims...

Interior-wise I need to decide how original I want to keep things, the upholstery is original and with a good clean will be fine, most of the interior is present and re-usable, although the dash pad has warped over time. I'll worry about that little lot later though!

Anyway, there's plenty of rust hot spots yet to explore, at the minute I'm just stripping the car to see what's solid and good to work with. The front end panels really aren't worth saving, but things like brackets, firewall, front subframe, etc all appear solid. So yes - plenty of restorable parts!

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I was planning to ship one over from Arizona, but the money I've saved in shipping and duties etc will go quite a long way to restoring this one.

2. Cowman

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    The trunk floor is less than perfect with patches on top of patches, part of the last repair I guess.

[​IMG]

The rear window rot in more detail, the other side isn't much better...

[​IMG]

Another photo of the front A pillar, not great, fortunately I know where there's could be a donor...

[​IMG]

3. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Damn Cowman, looks like a job. You were right, we do have similar issues with our cars. Hopefully you can get all the parts and get started soon. You will probably have to do as much as me and more. The first part is just seeing what you got and you are well into that. Keep up the good work.

4. Twilight Cruiser

Twilight Cruiser Veteran Member

Dec 17, 2001
    the Netherlands
    Welcome Cowman.

Here's another 70RS (once originally citrus green) owner.
    This Camaro resides in the Netherlands these days.

Wow, you've got one mayor resto job there! Respect for guys like you, I would probably run and cry when all these suprises reared their ugly head.
    That's going to be though to restore.
    Will you replace the front fenders too? I (and many others) did mine with replacements, but fitment was horrible. The bodyshop guys told me I should have hold on to the old (bad) ones, and should have restored those. Then bolt them back on. No fitment issues then.

Well good luck, I will follow your thread!

As for green with stripes;
    [​IMG]

5. damn thats a car - you can work on :eek: in a bad way :(

But well you seem optimistic, thats pretty cool, as twilight cruiser mentioned, I'll probably run away.

Good luck on your resto and keep us informed, with lots of pics

6. Redline Rappe

Redline Rappe Veteran Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Iowa
    Citrus Green rocks! Keep us posted on your progress. I am sure you can get lots of help here

7. Cowman

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    Thanks for the support guys, got some photos here of the engine being pulled...

[​IMG]

And some more rot, hey, new panel though, this restoring stuff is easy!!

[​IMG]

Got the tank off too, let there be light!

[​IMG]

Have no fear, new parts turning up, think I'm going to need these!

[​IMG]

Twilight Cruiser - That colour is awesome! I was thinking something similar but maybe using a slightly darker base. Do you know the paint code per chance?

I know the car has really suffered - but I'm of the opinion that everything can be rescued given enough time and patience. These are few and far between in this part of the world, so I'm proud to be doing my bit by getting this one back on the road where it belongs!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  8. chauncey1970

chauncey1970 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2008
    WEST SUSSEX uk
    Where are you in the uk
    Looks like you have got a busy summer coming where are you getting your parts from?

9. Cowman

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    Hi Chauncy1970 I've been getting my parts via www.classicusautoparts.co.uk all I have to do is phone them with part numbers and they do the rest! Really great guys who know their stuff!

More progress photos, time to stop messing about with the spanners and break out the angle grinder!

[​IMG]

At some point the lower half of the rear quarter was repaired with a skin...

[​IMG]

Tail pan off, now we're making progress!

[​IMG]

I assure everyone there is a master plan, I know what I'm doing (I think!)...

[​IMG]

Cutting out this section of the floor pan was a breeze, I just joined up the holes! The plan for the rear is essentially to rebuild the lot with new metal, there's not much worth saving! I was thinking of patching the trunk floor but have decided to bite the bullet and buy a new assembly. Pass the Goodmark catalogue!