1970 RS - A British Resto

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Cowman, Jul 18, 2010.

1. 2nd gen man

2nd gen man Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2010
    michigan
    very awesome project to start with.....
    hope all goes well in your build.....
    welcome

2. 1971zed

1971zed Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Retired in Ottawa Canada
    Welcome aboard!
    Nice find.
    What colour are you thinking?

Visited Southampton back in the 80's...nice place.

My parents were living in Cheltenham at the time.

My dad and I went to Thruxton a couple of times to watch both open wheel and sedan racing. What a great track!

My younger brother who also lived there and was into cars almost as much as me was building a Ford Pop(48 Anglia)
    and we used to drive up to London for a Saturday night cruise that was held in some well known park.
    There were always lots of Pop's and other British cars but there would always be a few American Muscle cars
    that would show up.

My brother would get his fix of drag racing at Santa Pod(sp).
    He actually had his first run in his Pop at Sana Pod.

Good luck with the build.

PS...By the way what's the price for gas...er...petrol over there now?
    I cringe at the thought. My dad had a late 70's Jaguar XJ 4.2.
    It would cost a fortune to fill the dual tanks back then.
    But what a blast it was cruising the countryside in.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  3. 73Camaro383

73Camaro383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
    Welcome to the site! Look forward to seeing your progress.

4. Cowman

Cowman Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    So every project needs a home and this is where mine will live for the duration of the project, an old fruit packhouse - Perfect!

[​IMG]

First job then was to see what surprises were lurking under that dreaded vinyl, I knew it was 'soft' so was braced for plenty of rot...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No surprises here then, plenty of rot round the rear window and the same on the front pillars, also the first clue as to the orginal factory colour - Green. So at some point the car has been resprayed red. What I didn't anticipate was the following little gem...

[​IMG]

At some point one of the previous owners had installed an aftermarket sunroof, and at some point after that (probably when it was resprayed) someone had the bright idea to make a bodge repair, fill it, sand it and vinyl over the top!

Fortunately the repairer gave some thought to structural rigidity and installed this patented stiffening device on the inner skin...

[​IMG]

That my friends is just about the best bodge I've ever come across and I laughed so hard I fell over. It's a chock of wood which has been beaten into place between the skins and then neatly hidden away under the headliner - pure genious.

P.S. 1971zed - Thanks for the comments, I went to University in Southampton and am living about an hour from there now. I love the old Ford Pop's and was in the market for one until I bought this! Santa Pod is still going strong and I hope to get down there with this when its done! On the fuel front we are now paying on average £1.38 a litre - or at current UK£ to US$ exchange rates - around $10.00 a gallon!

5. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Veteran Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    i'd cut the hole back out and put a sunroof back in! haha. even though everyone on this site would castrate me for such a thing. if the hole was already there, i'd cut it back out and use it.

cool project man, i'll have a 70-73 'maro one day, for now i just have to deal with the '81

6. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    If you want a section of roof to fix that one send me a PM wiithin a week. I will probably be getting a 2fer on a pair of Camaros and one has a good roof. I also have a 74 with a decent roof.I cant send you as much as you need. If you want to use the entire 74 roof,I have 2 chunks of 72 roof around the seat belt mounts that I will throw in so you can mount your 70 seat belts. I will send you as much roof as you want for $20 plus shipping.

7. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Oh that IS classic! ROTFLMFAO:D:D:D:D:D

8. Cowman

Cowman Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    Next to come off was the hood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The majority of the front panels are rotten in several places, I intend to replace these with new RS panels, fortunately all the brackets etc are solid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rad support has rotted out at the bottom and will be scrapped with the rest of the front end. 40 years have really taken their toll, the panels have really suffered but the sub frame looks solid on initial inspection.

Following on from the fantastic roof repair I showed you guys in an earlier post, comes another flawless repair job...

[​IMG]

Yes, thats wire, cardboard, newspaper and loadsa filler! What other gems will I find!

An insight into the original colour, from the trim tags I've deduced that the car was originally citrus green with white vinyl top from the factory.

[​IMG]

Now onto pulling the engine and trans but I'll save that for another post!

9. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Personally, I like the citrus green color...with black stripes and a low spoiler. A black interior hides dirt and looks great. Don't know if it has a console, but I would not put one back in if it did. I would not put the vinyl roof back on, either.

Try to obtain a small blast cabinet with black media...there are literally dozens of parts that you can reuse with a little rustoleum. I guarantee you will find rusty parts under the dash and inside the kick panels that can be reused.

I have some rot in my lower radiator support too, but I cut it out and sprayed rustoleum inside where I could to allow me to reuse the part.

How are your fenderwells, especially the battery side?

Good luck!

10. SSLX76

SSLX76 Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Newborough, Australia
    OMG, I was dreading this when l imported my Camaro but was saved from the torture, best of luck and l will watch with interest as the rebuild goes ahead, Cheers.....