1970 RS - A British Resto

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Cowman, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Cowman

Cowman Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    So I've been lurking on here since I bought my 70 RS last November.

I've been accumulating photos from my project since starting the tear down in March this year and thought I'd knock up my own thread.

So here she is, 1970 RS, the day it was dropped off from the previous owner. I love my Camaro's and was planning to get one shipped back from AZ to the UK, sure enough the day before I flew out to the US this came up for sale less than 15 minutes away from where I was staying. The deal was done there and then! Must have been fate.

[​IMG]

The car is complete and mostly original, but has suffered in the British climate, I'm guessing she's been over here for a while, there's plenty of rot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Importantly the main of the car is solid, all the essential pieces are there, it's not going to be a quick or easy restoration, but I'm a sucker for a challenge.

So greetings from across the pond, it's great to be part of the Nasty crew! More photos of the teardown to follow...

2. jasong

jasong Veteran Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Def. has potential. Hopefully there is no huger surprises under the paint:)

3. High Country Z

High Country Z Veteran Member

What's the purpose of the additional tail lights?

4. jr2226nhra

jr2226nhra New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    fla
    looks better than the on i had to have lol.do u know any history on the car ?when it was shipped over there and where it came from? have fun

5. clay taylor

clay taylor Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2008
    detroit mi
    Welcome to the site. Great people here. Be careful, this site is very addicting!

6. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Looks to be a solid start to a great project, Keep sending the pics as you progress. Good luck on the build. Rob

7. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CORONA, CA
    Welcome and I am very happy for your find. It is also interesting to see pics from across the pond.

8. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    The steering wheel is on the wrong side! :D Hope it's automatic so shifting isn't awkward.

Welcome!

Where are you in the UK? My daughter's father-in-law lives near Birmingham.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  9. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    Welcome to the site and car looks like a good start

10. Cowman

Cowman Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    Thanks for the great reception here on the forum, and sorry for the enormous delay in posting!

It's been a hectic time for me here in the UK but have no fear - progress has been made and I'll be posting the updates - Hooray!

To answer some of the initial questions...

1. The additional amber tail lights were added at some point to comply with our legislation for indicators, these were poorly fitted and I intend to find a better solution.

2. The vehicle was initially registered overseas, but the log book states it was first registered here 06/07/72. Its registered on a 72 plate but VIN tags clearly show it as a 70. I have some old tax discs which show it's travelled since arriving in Britain, and it's been owned by 8 people along the way. I'm hoping to trace some more of the history along the way...

3. Yes this site is addictive!

4. The steering wheel is on the wrong side (a minor detail!) and it has a TH350 Auto Trans so that's one less complication when driving! I live on the South Coast of the UK near Southampton, perfect for summer cruising!

As for the rest I'll try and get up to date with posts over the next month or so as I sort through the photos! So Thanks for a great warm welcome and I look forward to sharing my project with you!