1970 rear window interior trim between glass and package tray?

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Autorestomod, Sep 20, 2017.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    OP said: We just got a 1970 Z28 clone/tribute car..... in post #1.

2. Autorestomod

Autorestomod New Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Aiken, SC
    Thanks for this; good eye! We just don't know what it was originally. No RPOs on the firewall tag could mean it got nothing or it was a bad day at the plant. The missing hood trim hit me after we shot the video. I will say that if they did "make" an RS, they got most all of it right. Think the car was a factory Daytona Yellow (I see evidence of the original paint in the doors) but who knows, it is 47 years old. Many, many things could have happened to the old car.

3. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    I know Mark. It's just that they spent a lot of time in the video trying to figure it out and the AC made it pretty easy to be definitive.

4. flowjoe

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Firewall trim tag will give you OEM color and interior. Really very few RPOs on TT in '70 - and only at Norwood plant. If you or the owner want to figure this out (for curiosity's sake) then post up in the original drivetrain section. We should be able to help :bowtie:

And you're right, anything could have been done since February of 1970:D

5. Autorestomod

Autorestomod New Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Aiken, SC

Awesome! I'll get a picture of it tomorrow and post it. Digging all the help you guys are providing!

6. flowjoe

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    We're a helpful bunch. And we love mysteries like this. :bowtie:

The more info you provide the more we can help you nail it down. Photos of:
    1) Front side of passenger axle tube should provide build date and application code for rear end.
    2) Engine pad ahead of passenger head will provide build date and application for engine (and sometimes VIN derivative - alternate location would be down by oil filter).
    3) Should be a build date and VIN derivative on transmission - locations vary a bit.

You will got asked a lot of questions and for photos - so be prepared.:happy:

7. Autorestomod

Autorestomod New Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Aiken, SC
    LOL that is the very nature of Autorestomod, questions and answers! I'll do my best to get those nailed down tomorrow. Today was too busy to play around with the Camaro. Pretty sure the engine and trans are from different vehicles. But hey, we'll get to digging.

8. flowjoe

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    :cool:

9. Autorestomod

Autorestomod New Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Aiken, SC
    OK, here is what I have on the '70 so far:
    ST70 12487 NOR215894
    TR 711 51 B
    02C

Which is a 1970 V8, Daytona Yellow, Sport Coupe Camaro with Black Vinyl roof, standard black interior built in the third week of February.

Haven't gone under the car. I'll tackle that when we try and bandaid the exhaust.

I know that, according to the owner, the transmission is not original nor is the engine.