1970 rear window interior trim between glass and package tray?

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Autorestomod, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Autorestomod

Autorestomod New Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Aiken, SC
    We just got a 1970 Z28 clone/tribute car in and we're doing our walk-around and noticed that there is no trim panel under the glass between the glass and the package tray on this car. It has the sail panels, but no trim in between the sails. I've never done a post 1969 Camaro or Firebird and NPD doesn't list a part number for this (that I can find). Anyone willing to help a 1970-78 newbie out?

2. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    The only trim I know of is at the top of the glass. Never seen any trim on an early 2nd gen in between the bottom of the sail panels. Just the metal lip that the end of the panels screw into.

3. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    image.jpg The only thing there is part of the weld in piece that the hinges weld to. The part in my pic with the rust holes in it

4. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    There is no plastic trim piece that goes between the 2 sail panels. The steel trim that's welded on gets painted the same color as the sail panels.

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

20170920_144142.jpg
    shot from my car. 70-81 ought to be all the same.

6. BonzoHansen

BTW i watch you videos a lot. :)

7. Autorestomod

Autorestomod New Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Aiken, SC
    Thanks Bonzo!

I appreciate you guys getting back so quick! Well, it looks like I will be doing a bit of fill and sand....Oye.

Not a problem it's a project, right?

8. BonzoHansen

9. Autorestomod

Autorestomod New Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Aiken, SC
    Should the words "happy" and "sanding" be put together?

BonzoHansen likes this.
  10. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    FWIW OP, your project is definitely not a Z28 as it has factory AC which was not available with RPO Z28 in 1970. I'm also inclined to think it's not an original RS only because the bright belt trim is missing from tops of fenders and rear edge of hood (it should continue the line from the top of the doors). Those pieces are a lot harder to install than the door trim (screws instead of factory Nelson rivets or just donor doors). Hope that helps.