1970 Lug Nuts

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by citrusz, May 11, 2016.

1. CanadianCopper

CanadianCopper New Member

Jul 9, 2017
    california
    What size is the correct lug nut for a 1971 Z? Is it 3/4 or 13/16? Thanks, mark

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    7/16"stud, "tall cap" is .450" from the top of the hex to the end of the cap.
    The nut on the right is 13/16". Not sure what the tall boy is on the left,
    but I would think it would use the same jack wrench/socket.
    Someone else posted this pic in a previous thread.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    CamarosRus likes this.
  3. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    I have looked at doing these (including building the progressive deep draw dies) and have done a good bit of research including original drawings -

FWIW the LAST NOS SET of 20 - traded hands for over $1000. LS6 Chevelles, GSX Buicks, W30 and Hurst Old's tend to run the prices up and drive them out of existence.

From all my research I can do them in small quantities - 10-20 sets at $400 / set
    HOWEVER if the volume is much larger than that 50-100 sets the dies need to be heavier built for a larger press and probably need to have it done at a larger shop...

There are a large number of cars which wear these lugnuts... including all open face GM wheels from 1968-1973 - Chevelle SS 69-72, Nova SS 69-72, OLDS SS1's, Olds SSII's, Buick GS/GSX, Camaro N66 69 & Camaro 70-74 Ralley and Z28 wheels, Vega GT, El Camino with open lugs through 73... basically all except pontiac rally II.

Go to a show and check any of these cars NONE will have their correct lug nuts.
    My question is how many set is a legitimate number to talk about producing?

They are going to be at least $100 I can tell you that for sure...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    I've thought about this too and would do it if I wasn't so busy.

I wasn't thinking of a full on prog die, but more of multiple (3 or 4) individual tools and hand transfer the parts. Maybe laser the blanks rather than build a blank die, although that would be the easiest tool to make.

Talked this over at some length with Joey Gray (http://joeysmusclecars.com/) and he seems to think folks would pay about 140 to 150 A SET.

The problem is, there is the repop ones out there that are very close and only the highest level of restoration will pay an extreme difference in cost. How many that is depends on the cost delta. I personally would go for about 200 a set, but never 400. Just too much for this one item, at least at this stage. The LS-6 guys and GSX Buick guys would probably go for more, but then their cars go to 6 figures too.

Then there is always the risk that you get yours done 5 minutes after the perfect Chinese repop hits the market! Not trying to discourage you, but that's whats gone through my mind.

Double R Restorations likes this.
  5. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Ashburn, Va USA
    FWIW....the market here on NastyZ28 with the Originality guys for our 'Custom Clips and Things' thread only ran in the 30-50 buyer range...not a huge market.

6. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    Scott Fuller Reproductions (SHELBY PARTS) makes a Stainless capped tall crown 1/2 thread 7/8 lug wrench Lugnut which (other than being larger) is the same EXACT design as the 7/16 thread 3/4" nut size we are looking for. They sell for $400 a set on small runs.