1970 Lug Nuts

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by citrusz, May 11, 2016.

1. T-FATTY

T-FATTY Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Mass
    Thanks for the pics.

2. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Great thread...thanks for the pics, Chuck.

3. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Most of the captioned pics were Originally posted by the infamous M21RSZ28

4. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    I tried to copy the picture from the Ames site with no luck, so I took a picture of my screen. Anyways this is the Ames,they sell a IMG_7103.JPG set for 54.00 bucks.

5. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Jim, Weve read where the SMALL taper of the AMES Repop Nut will not correctly fit
    OE wheels or is it ONLY OE wheels that are already egg shaped....
    I'd like to hear from one or MORE members who have bought and tried the AMES
    Pontiac Parts repop nut ?????

6. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    Chuck, I have no idea and would like to know myself. I was just adding a picture to go with the thread. I am needing 20 lug nuts and have no intentions of spending 135.00 each for NOS.

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    What would you spend on a correct set of Repop lug nuts?
    I've toyed with the idea of building the dies necessary to make the SS lug nut covers, but stop when it comes to the market assessment. I really don't want to put the time into it if I only sell a few dozen sets to the most demanding restorers and the rest buy either the current incorrect repops or solid lug nuts.
    I have discussed in his with Joey Gray and he thinks about 150 a set. That might be worth it if I could sell 500 sets or so. They were also used in Chevelles and Pontiacs so maybe that would work. It would I think take 3 dies to do them correctly. Not including the final crimp. Joey also brought up the legal liability side of it. If somebodies wheel falls off, not even do to the lug nuts fault but the often mentioned problem with the tapered seats being worn and the lug not tightened correctly.

8. CanadianCopper

CanadianCopper New Member

Jul 9, 2017
    I have a set of these and am told they are original? Anyone confirm these are correct?

Attached Files:

9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Maybe original, but not the "1st" design which were used from 1969 to I think 1973-4. These also are the same as the repops that are commonly seen and available from a number of vendors.
    The 1st design had a shorter nut area and a longer round area above the nut area.
    Somebody correct me on the exact dates. In 1969 they were used on the deluxe SS wheels on Camaros and Chevelles.

10. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    I believe they were also used on the 70-? Nova's with the 6 hole rally wheels, same wheels used on Camaro's.