1970 Hood Insulation RPO option?

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by 70moneypit, Oct 17, 2013.

1. 70COPO

70COPO Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Chillicothe Ohio
    I use a thin layer of plastic sheeting when I trailer to eliminate the chaffing damage. If I was driving it I would likely take the insulator off altogether.

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    If it didn't make it from the factory with one then I bet the Dealer ordered it after the car was PDI'd. What do you think they'd do if the car arrived and was missing the shifter knob?

3. 70COPO

70COPO Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Chillicothe Ohio
    That's the way it would have happened if the dealer was on top on the specification on the option content.

I would bet that the majority of the base units that the dealers were getting in 1970 did not come with an insulator to begin with.

4. 70moneypit

70moneypit Veteran Member

Jul 18, 2012
    North Texas
    You might be right, although I'm not sure how it was back then as I was only buying used cars at the time that's all I could afford. I'm just not sure how important hood insulation was to the average person. I tore it off as soon as I bought a car.

I wanted to hear the motor sounds back then, and that's all I thought it was for, for grandma's and old farts who wanted quiet running cars. They didnt put it on race cars, or even Pontiac T/A's, so why did I need it on my Camaro? That's how a teenager looked at this kind of stuff back then. Plus it was always hanging down and looking like crap with oil stains and other grime.

Anyway, I wonder if they would have worried about it being missing at the dealership unless a paying customer asked or bitched about it being missing, hehe. At least, that's how it works these days. It took me almost six months to get a missing floor mat for a new car I bought it 2005.

A shifter knob, yeah, they would notice that in a heartbeat, but hood insulation maybe not since half the cars coming in would not have it (on purpose) anyway. However, I bet if the customer who ordered it read 'special hood insulation' on the window sticker/order invoice, I bet he'd ask "where's the insulation" hehe. Back then, I think people wanted what they paid for with no excuses.

5. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Thanks Scott. I guess I'll never know for sure. My hood underneath is refinished nicely, although not correct. It appears it was done with the same paint to match the black stripes.

6. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

[​IMG]

Justed wanted to post above picture link demonstrating how member adapted molded hood pad to his later model Z-28 with hood air scoop.

7. 70moneypit

Jul 18, 2012
    North Texas
    That pad looks awesome. As soon as we get my hood closer to being painted, I will order one from you.

8. llskis

llskis Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Central Illinois
    I also bought the pad from CamaroRus; completely satisfied; fit like
    a glove. Got a lot of compliments on it.--Larry:)

9. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Four (more) members have inquired about ordering hood pad and clips.........

I am trying to get shipping estimates, so as I can quote totals.

I am leaving Wednesday AM 10/23 for Las Vegas as I'm helping
    Jeff Lane's race car team at NHRA Natl event.

IF you can wait til next week for order to be processed this would be better
    for me............however

If any of those four that have sent me email definitely want pad ordered ASAP
    let me know and I'll pull the trigger before I leave. Will need your complete
    name,address and phone.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  10. 70moneypit

Jul 18, 2012
    North Texas
    frankly, I've never seen a hood pad that looked so nice.

Chuck, I'll be glad to wait until next week (or anytime later) as that will fit my schedule better anyway. I just don't want to miss out!