1970 Hood Insulation RPO option?

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by 70moneypit, Oct 17, 2013.

1. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I bought my 02C Norwood 70 Z28 in late 71. I cannot remember it having hood insulation, so the previous owner must have removed it.

2. 70COPO

70COPO Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Chillicothe Ohio
    Or it never left the plant with it in the first place.

John's Manville of Defiance, Ohio was the primary supplier of the insulator. Missing insulation due to supply disruption or line installation damage would be a parts repair ticket item where the car was punched out and waited for its repair in the back lot. On a class D or class C defect the car could be loaded on a truck or directly to rail transport if the inspector would approve it.

On the insulator specifically I gathered additional information for the book and even production line samples. There were numerous complaints through the UAW and later to OSHA that the loose fiberglass was a "health hazard" to the workers. There were grievances filed and workers placed on DLA for refusing to perform the installation - so replacements were often used to apply this part.

IMO for Norwood... there are documented reasons why your specific car may have not had it installed at the factory and this occurrence would be sporadic this is I think why this issue keeps appearing in the forums as a topic because some cars have it and some do not.

3. Jonzz28

Jonzz28 Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Northern VA
    My 72, Norwood has it. Deluxe interior.

4. x77-69z28

x77-69z28 Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2010
    long island, new york
    my 70 z28 project with standard interior has it. has been off the road since 78.

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    That's funny , they must have had it pretty good there ! In Tarrytown if you didn't like fiberglass insulation on the " clean " end of the plant , they had a job in the LEAD GRINDING booth in the body shop to bring you back to reality . Insubordination would and could get you fired ! I'm sure gm said put on a mask and deal with it as the men in lead booth wore a space helmet .

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  6. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Say, if the hood has been restored and painted, are there any tell-tale signs to identify that the hood had insulation on it at one time?

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I removed mine in '81 cause it was hanging badly.

8. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    I would say No. If your hood has been repainted any possible signs of existing hood insulation are gone. If a poor job was done repainting the bottom there could be signs of fiberglass fuzzies stuck to the hood around the holes from the clips.
    When the hood is closed, It's possible to have signs of scuff marks on the top cover plate for the radiator from the Insulation but most likely that's been repainted also... I've noticed it before on a freshly painted cover plate, not sure about an old one with original paint thou?

9. 70COPO

70COPO Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Chillicothe Ohio
    Air cleaner lid and radiator support took a beating from the insulator that is for sure.

10. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    That was great info you added in post number 12 Phil... Explains why some guys with original, unrestored cars swear their car never had hood insulation when it should have.