1970 headliner

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Motorhead3, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Motorhead3

Motorhead3 New Member

Feb 1, 2017
    I ‘m getting ready to do quarters on my car. I’ve removed the window, all rear interior trim pieces and I’d like to just lower the rear section of the headliner to keep it away from grinding and welding. I removed the 2 screws on each side holding the metal panels under the sail panels at the rear. It’s tight and doesn’t want to move. It was replaced before I bought the car so it’s not factory. My friend who does upholstery said it’s glued around the edges, heat it a little and be careful pulling it down. No luck. Any suggestions?

2. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Yeah it's glued in there...all I can say is be careful tugging on it...that material can rip and ruin your day very easily.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Got to do the same thing. Will be watching this thread. My headliner is in really good shape and hate to lose it.

Any tricks to getting the side metal pieces off? There are clips holding them up.

4. Plater Tom

Plater Tom Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Mt Pleasant, Pa. USA
    Try using a scalpel and low heat to lossen the glue. Tom

5. Motorhead3

Motorhead3 New Member

Feb 1, 2017
    I removed most of the quarter now and I think if I"m careful, its far enough from any welding heat. I'm going to use a welding tarp to cover the back window area hole from sparks.