1970 Cowl Vs Engine dates

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by 1970_Z28_503, Apr 14, 2017.

1. 1970_Z28_503

1970_Z28_503 Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Oregon
    05D build date on the Cowl tag but a June 7 date on the engine. Partial vin is correct to the car, could the car have got held up somewhere along the line and thus got a engine built in June rather than May?

Cowl Tag

2. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    I cannot access the pics...says I am not authorized to view your media. Just me? If you can, post pics of the trim tag, engine pad stamp, block casting date and partial vin stamp.

3. 1970_Z28_503

1970_Z28_503 Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Oregon
    I must be sharing the pictures wrong off my Albums.

lets try this..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Still not working for the pics...

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    It is also possible that Flint stamped the engine wrong. Instead of a 5, they could have grabbed a 6 by mistake. The VIN 549116 falls into late May production. Look at the date of the casting of the engine. If the block was cast in early-mid May, it is likely an engine mistamp. If the engine casting is really late May or early June, then the car was held up on the assembly line waiting for the engine.

6. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Gary- what would be the reason for holding up a chassis for two weeks waiting for an engine when there was a steady supply arriving Flint?

70_Z28_503 - Instead of sharing from your albumn, could you just post the pics direct into the thread from your computer/phone?

twozs likes this.
  7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Maybe. Anything is possible I suppose. But I will say that after 5+ years of looking through this forum and Yenko.net and Camaros.org and Camaro.net and Chevelles.com and NCRS that its the first time I can't recall a date stamp wrong like this with the legit engine.

The assembly lines were humming along pretty good during this time frame in 70. Having a hard time picturing a scenario that would move the car off-line waiting for a particular engine.

So the engine is a V0607CTB or C? To make this all work out it would seem that the TT would be a 06B or maybe C. The engines are usually only a few days ahead of the TT. They didn't have alot of extra room at the assembly plants for engines to be stacked around.

My guess is its not the right engine. Like Gary said check the casting on the engine and other parts.

I can't see the photos either. Just says Error.

8. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    at Tarrytown every once in a while there would be rail supply problems with the larger parts . train derailments and strikes and the such . it was GMs policy to stop the line at great cost and send everyone home and sue the rail service for the down time . it was never more than a day or two due to the great expense as we ( union line workers ) got paid for things like that . that being said , my 73 went from casting to assembly line start of the car in less than a week ... with the motor first . as far as " mistakes " there were quite a few inspectors to check something as important as a stamping . there were quality audits run pretty regularly and enough eff ups and GM would shift production to somewhere else who did build a good car . GM was not in the pratice of letting painted finished cars sit around . there wasn't a lot of room for them and they got damaged . Its fun to speculate , but unless you see it real life ....There wasn't a lot of space to store stuff . imagine 2000 doors , fenders , quarters . tens of thousands of tires . dash parts , exhaust systems . 1000 motors and transmitions and rears ... parts everywhere . with 1000 cars being built a day , the stock was always moving . then you needed a bank of parts that was half a day run time .

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Another thing worth checking is to look if there is another VIN stamping down by the oil filter. Norwood commonly stamped their VINs on the engine at that location around 1970.