1970 Camaro SS Fully Restored

Discussion in 'Camaros for Sale' started by 70SS350, Jan 28, 2018.

1. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Dave@ztech.............I'm reading two separate transactions on the two cars.....

I'm curious how MERSHON's got the 70 Camaro

and how much are 70 CUDA Hemi recreations going for ????

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    I thought, he sent them the Camaro, they checked it out, then made a deal on the Cuda, that they are now shipping to him,

3. 70SS350

70SS350 Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Chicago Area
    First I am not John Galloway, if that is what you are suggesting, John Galloway is who did the restoration.

Second this is not a FLIP..., it was restored 9 years ago. Maybe ask the questions before assumption. I purchased the car from Mershons 16 Months Ago October 2016. John who did the resto completed it 2009 and sold the car to Mershons Oct 2016. I only sold it back to Mershons. And no I did not take a hit on the car except for what I put into the Rechroming of the bumpers couple of odds and ends that were not done when the car was restored originally by John. Again not sure where you make or base assumptions. If you would have read my first post you would have gathered the history of this car and realized someone else restored this car, that I purchased it restored.

Additionally you can consider Mershons anything you want - but they are one of the more reputable out there, Bob Mershon is a great guy and friend. He heard I was looking to sell the car and he offered to BUY IT BACK... again maybe ask for the facts before you begin the assumptions.

Further while there was a good deal of OE parts in the 85% the car has several non OE. You asked me about the Wheels and Trim Rings they are not OE car originally came with Dog Dish and No Rings. Front and Rear Spoilers were not OE, they were also added during the restoration. All of the lighting was replaced with OER Classic Industry Parts, the Reartails, Front Rings, Turns.

There is no doubt that John Galloway did a great job on the restoration, when John sold the car to Mershons he sold it with his awards included I returned the car slightly improved AND with everything I purchased it with all the awards and all of the photos and documentation. IMO I believe the cars should move with the awards but my opinion.

You might suggest it is a shame the car is with a dealer will tell you I had one inquiry from this forum on the car the only place I advertised it, and it was someone looking for a bargain price because they really wanted a Z car, but thought the SS would go cheep.

Lastly if you look at my photos that car is a Challenger not a Cuda, what I said was I drove the Cuda that was Red and Black (pretty similar to the Challenger) when I was first licensed. While it is A TRIBUTE to what was the most feared beast on the street in 1970 even more IMO then the LS6 this car has a REAL DEAL MOPAR 426 Dual Quad Solid Lifter Hemi in it that if you can even find one to buy it is $20,000+ This car has $40,000 of body and paint it was a solid rust free car from California before the resto. If this car was real deal is $175,000 to $225,000.

4. 70SS350

Nov 12, 2016
    Chicago Area
    Further the CHALLENGER was completely separate there is nothing to do with Mershons.

5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Sorry , that I called it a Cuda, guess I picked that up from your mention of one in the past, and from the way you sort of described the transaction , I had guessed, incorrectly, that you had given up on selling the car and just traded it , as you mentioned the Challenger, Cuda, HAA HA, was headed your way , if you can see what I mean !!??

6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    My only intent in my posting was to alert Spirit1 that the car was available very local to him.
    As far as Mershon's goes, I've got no dog in that fight. They've been around for many years and seem to have a reasonable rep. If you Google them, they were investigated at one time for supposedly selling a stolen 'vette, but never did hear for sure how that one turned out.

7. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Angola, IN
    I’m somewhat new here, but seems to me any and all original documentation should stay with the car- including awards. My biggest gripe with dealerships is they are less likely to retain the story that comes with the car. They’re probably careful with the docs because that influences value, but the story, not so much.

Also, unless the car is being repaired, restored recklessly, or misrepresented who cares if it’s “flipped” at a dealership or otherwise? I purchased my Z at a dealership. It ended up having pretty serious issues with the powertrain, I overpaid, but I don’t feel it was misrepresented. I should’ve swapped the lumpy cam instead of continuing to drive it.

As to selling on nasty, can be pretty tough crowd here, lol. The people that know em’ best are going to offer criticism- especially regarding originality.

8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    To dealers, selling cars is the business...as it should be.

Some of us here get pretty passionate about the hobby. We take an interest in some of the cars that have been restored to very high standards and like to somewhat keep track of them as they go from owner to owner. With as much time we give to the restoration, its easy to forget sometimes that not everybody looks at them like we do. To some, they are just like other valuable possessions and they are something to be just bought and sold. Kind of a whim thing. I've never been a person that has those resources to trade expensive cars like that. Maybe that's the difference between a passion and just an interest.

We also, at least I do, like to look out for other members, especially those new to the hobby, by offering advice on what we see as original and well restored. This can sometimes seem like we are being overly critical. Some folks don't care and just want a shiny car that goes good and is reliable. That's great too and sometimes I envy them. i personally just want to provide as much info to someone contemplating a purchase so they go in as knowledgeable as possible. I would hope that folks here or on other forums would do the same for me if I was asking questions.

9. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Angola, IN
    I agree, I didn’t mean to imply the criticism wasn’t warranted in most cases. Definitely ample passion and knowledge here. I wish I would’ve spent a bit more time on nasty before I bought the Z. I would’ve ended up with the same car, but I might’ve paid a little less for it;)

10. 70SS350

Nov 12, 2016
    Chicago Area
    Hey Thanks guys, Chuck and Dave you guys are great really know your stuff, I didnt mean for my post to sound slanted. Just trying to protect the car did not want it to appear to be a FLIP or just dropped off at some dealer to FLIP it or that there was anything wrong with her. Mentioned in my early posts I was NOT going to sell the car unless to a member here. What actually happened I did not expect. In 1974 I drove a Red/Black Hemi Cuda first muscle I ever drove at 16 years old, has stuck with me that long and at 60 still does LIKE THAT FIRST GIRLFRIEND. I STUMBLED on this CHALLENGER Red/Black Hemi (very same as that Cuda even down to the Bucket Bench which is very unusual) after I began looking into it, researching it and while a TRIBUTE that is good because I would not drive a real one in this condition which is as close to No. 1 as you will find - everyday it kept telling me to buy her, EXCEPT I was totally out of space in my 3 car garage with 4 cars already in there and 1 in the drive and could not get another lift in the garage and needed to free up a little cash.

This Challenger was originally part of a movie set in Hollywood and owned by Sage Stallone, completely rust free California Car. It was purchased by a lady in Southwest Florida with ONLY the intention to make it a TRIBUTE to one of the greatest street beasts a Hemi Challenger as she did, and to be a TRIBUTE of what she was passionate about like me in her teens she is same age group and always loved these cars so she built one. The clincher I live in the Chicago area, she purchased the 426 Dual Quad Hemi from a High Performance Dodge Dealership in Naperville which low and behold I purchased 2 of my cars from them as new.

SO... I unfortunately had to sell the Camaro before purchasing the Challenger, my friend Bob Mershon who I bought the car from heard I was going to sell and he offered to purchase it back which I purchased from Mershons 16 months ago. Short of selling to a member here, I figured that would have been the best way to go, give the car exposure with a very upstanding and reputable dealer that is passionate about these cars and could offer her to a wider group of Gen 2 lovers than I could reach. Further the reason the car was at Mershons when I purchased is that John Galloway who restored the car is HUGE Corvette Guy mostly C1 Vettes he restores them, and has done business with Mershons as Corvettes.

Chuck you are correct about everything you portrayed about this car, and guys seriously there are not many of these out there like this REAL DEAL not hacked up documented and with less than 30,000 supported original miles. A great Color Combo, 4 Bolt Main Block, a No. 1 Resto and the Awards to Prove it. This is a great car, I just needed my first girlfriend again...

Smokey15 likes this.