1970 Camaro Restofy

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by giggity, Apr 6, 2016.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    so i dug into your build thread that SEM looks pretty good! watching now!

2. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Thanks. It works very well if you ensure to do full length passes when texturizing, ie you start spraying off the panel and end spraying off the panel. Stops and starts on the panel will make it look a little goofy. Good luck!

3. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    very nice work and figuring it out can't wait til I am as close as you

4. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    I found this thread...

https://www.nastyz28.com/threads/1970-a-pillar-cover-wanted.296585/#post-3396343

Someone was selling the pillar molding, and referred to it as smooth. So could these be different by year? Im pretty sure mine are smooth (1970 camaro). I dont feel any bumps or texture.

5. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

They were all texture from the factory, like you said someone had already sanded them down before.

6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    so sandblasting is a good use of time when I dont want to do body work! I started pulling apart the factory seats, cleaning them up, giving them a good coat of POR. Now I need to order new covers and some cushions. The back cushions look pretty good, I might reuse them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bottom half didnt look very good, a rat apparently made a hotel suite in the foam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This frame will take a lot longer to blast.

[​IMG]

7. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Been there, done that! Good luck! :)

8. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    wow, been a while since Ive posted. The whole photobucket thing caused me to be a little hesitant on posting new pictures and looking at builds. Such a crappy thing for them to do. I know they have to pay the bills, but they would have been so much more successful if they had just charged people 5-10 bucks rather than trying to rape them. anyways....

Im currently looking at the rear end. I posted a few weeks ago to sell my 1970 12 bolt Ive been sitting on for 20+ years. Recently I had gotten quotes from several local builders and they were all around 2500 dollars drive out to build the rear. This is new gears, axles, all internals, actually the only thing they would use is housing. The part that rubbed me a little, was that they were wanting to cut the 12 bolt housing to put ford big bearings in. I understand the strength issue, however cutting a 1 year only rear bothered me a little, my 1970 is not a numbers car, it was just a regular ol 70. So I really dont care if the car is "original". I would rather the rear go to someone who needs it, and at the same time if I can sell it to help finance a Moser or Strange setup, thats a win win.

9. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I was curious what was going on with photobucket. Crappy move by photobucket.

Can I ask who you got quotes for to build it? I couldn’t imagine it being that hard to build. New carrier, axles and gears shouldn’t be more than a complete new setup...or is it?

Project looks good sir. Keep up the good work.