1970 Camaro Restofy

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by giggity, Apr 6, 2016.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    I figured Im spending a ton of money, so why not document it.

Ive had this car since about 1995, I bought it when my truck was stolen.

[​IMG]

I drove this car in college, until I started getting a rod knock. Luckily my parents had room in their garage, so I parked it and bought a 69 chevy truck.

2. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    So the original 307 took a dump on me, I pulled it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    So while I was in college I decided to go ahead and start cleaning it up, so I pulled the subframe and started working on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry the pictures are vertical, photobucket isnt cooperating.

4. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    A friend of mine had a 402 laying around and sold it to me for 400 dollars. My thought at the time, was that a 402, not the biggest of the motors I could have used, was an option for a 1970 camaro, so it seemed cool to have a motor that was an option. If I could go back, I wouldnt have done it this way. I would have just bought a 502 crate motor, it would have been easier...

[​IMG]

The block was done by a local machine shop here in Houston. I had it Balanced, the block came with a steel crank, I had it machined for the block and made it a 4 bolt main. I got a deal on some 11-1 pistons, again, in hindsight I wouldnt have done that, would have gone with 10-1. I always had a thing for Isky cams, so I decided to go with an Isky cam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    I painted the subframe and firewall with gm sealer and frame paint. I gotta say its lasted pretty good over the past 20 years.

[​IMG]

6. 70 SS 350

70 SS 350 Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2012
    Houston Texas
    Very cool
    Cant wait to see the progress on this one.:bowtie:

7. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    And then it sat in my parents garage for many years, [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    until NOW! :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  8. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    Now im grown up, well kinda, lol.
    I bought the Brodix top end kit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    The wifie gave me the green light to buy everything I need to get the car going.

[​IMG]

Centerforce dual friction clutch kit
    [​IMG]

Holley Gerotor Fuel pump and filters
    [​IMG]

Flexalite fan and radiator
    [​IMG]

10. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    I just recently started working on the brakes.

New rotors,brake lines and calipers on the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan to change these out for some bigger brakes later, but this will do for now, My goal is to get the car running and driving

The rear brakes look ok, I sprayed them down with brake cleaner, the wheel cylinders look ok, Im going to try to get by without initially rebuilding them. Ive got a 12 bolt rear end that will be going in within the next year, so Ill just wait to rebuild them. I turned the drums though, and replaces the rear rubber hose with a stainless hose. On an interesting note, my air shocks are still holding air, which is shocking....lol...sorry for that joke.

[​IMG]

I bought this setup from right stuff, Ive read decent reviews on their brake components, and I needed room for the tall valve covers. Its a dual diaphragm booster setup. my biggest complaint was that the image that was displayed online showed a bracket and proportioning valve, it didnt come with it. I called and gave jegs a piece of my mind. Its funny because I was willing to pay for the bracket and valve, but I was complaining that the image was incorrect. And the guy I spoke to said that the image is a "representative" image, and that they cannot have an image for all the vehicles this fits. I called his BS, I mean really what else do I have to go by online?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016