1970 Camaro - LED Tail Light Install

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Robert M Mrozek, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Robert M Mrozek

Robert M Mrozek Member

Oct 4, 2016
    I have a 1970 Camaro and and upgrading my tail lights to LED. I purchased a set of United Pacific Industries (UPI) tail lights (for the brake/signal lights only). I recently watch a UPI video on facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/upcarparts/?rc=p ) where they installed two of their LED lights on each side (dual tail lights) and they operate sequentially with "an optional module". I asked them what optional module they sell to make it work and they said the module at this link ( http://www.uapac.com/antique/12v-electrical-flasher.html#q=LED+Flasher+2+Terminal+12V+(90652)). This looks to me like the typical LED replacement flasher you need to upgrade to LED and NOT the "optional module" needed to deliver the sequential performance. The single UPI LED just simply plugs into the OE brake light bulb sockets which is super easy. I am wondering if installing a standard UPI tail tail in place of the back-up light together with this single LED flasher...will that give me the sequential function? Or do I need to install and additional LED flasher (i.e. two of them)? Has anyone tried this before?

2. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    I watched the video and it appears to get the sequential functioning tail lights you buy their pair of special UPI tail/signal lights which includes the lens and circuit board. Then swap out your standard lights for the UPI lights/lenses and replace the standard under dash flasher module with a single LED compatible flasher (non-polarity specific aka NP @ $10 - $12) and you're good to go,,,, hopefully/

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have Digi tail LED lights on my 70 Camaro that operate together. The wiring is much more complex then simply plugging into the stock connector. However the wires are spliced into the stock harness. For your lights to operate together, wire them together. This would mean it wont be a plug and play. Do your light have the reverse lights? That will be an issue if the LEDs don't contain a reverse set of White LED light. Digi-tails do.

4. Robert M Mrozek

Robert M Mrozek Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Thanks for the comments. Yeah, my United Pacific LEDs do not include a back-up option...surprised they don't offer it. So I am eliminating the reverse light and swapping that for a dual sequential on each side. Been searching the internet and notice quite a few Camaros skipping the reverse lights. I purchased a license plate with white LEDs to wire to the reverse light circuit but it is too large the the opening. So still thinking about a reverse light solution.