1970 Camaro Interior Trunk Drop Off Panel

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by SSomerville, Jan 9, 2017.

1. SSomerville

SSomerville Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Burlington, ON, CAN
    Hey Guys,

The build is going strong and I will post pics this week. But I have a problem. (or not)

When I stripped the car down to a rolling chassis, I never noticed the trunk. Partly because it was dark where I was working, and there not much I had to do there.

When I sent it to the body shop and discovered that rear quarter had to be replaced (more to come on that ....) he sent me a pic of the panel off (because I could not be there). I could see right into the trunk from the outside shot. I thought there was a trunk drop off panel in the interior. When I went to check it out there was not a drop off panel on either side? I asked him and he said there wasn't one when he started. AM i crazy or have these been cut out? Or did the 70 Z28 not have them? See pic for part reference.

Thanks

1.jpg

2. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    All second gens have them, if they were removed previously u would of noticed. They had to of removed it with the 1/4 panel. Check the old 1/4 to see if part of it is still attached

SSomerville likes this.
  3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I found out that I had one missing when I was under the car tightening the tail pipe clamp. I left the flashlight standing up on the ground and I reached back into the trunk for a wrench and saw my flashlight beaming up into the trunk...

SSomerville likes this.
  4. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    It may of been really rotted and when they pulled the 1/4 off it broke into pieces but some of it would still be spot welded to the trunk floor

5. SSomerville

SSomerville Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Burlington, ON, CAN
    Thanks! I will check for evidence of this.