1970 Camaro deluxe door panel - proper window crank parts??

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Jeffmort, May 10, 2017.

1. Jeffmort

Jeffmort Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Encinitas, CA USA
    I removed my door panels to fix some stuff inside my door and i have a few questions about which window crank parts are supposed to be used.
    When I removed the cranks there was not a window crank handle "spring" or "washer" being used. Is this correct when using a deluxe style door panel?
    Pictures below show a black "grommet/spacer" that is part of the deluxe door panel plus a plastic "washer" and a spring. I know that the plastic washer and spring are used with the standard style door panels but I am not sure if these parts are supposed to be used when using a deluxe style door panel.
    I have a set of plastic washers and springs available if I should be using them.
    Thanks.
    window parts.JPG
    window parts 2.JPG

2. Jeffmort

Jan 7, 2004
    Encinitas, CA USA
    i found another post showing that springs are used with the Deluxe door panels but upon test fit the springs don't seem to want to fit underneath the black plastic piece. Guess I will just go without the springs as it seemed to work fine.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Install them in the correct way and they fit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jeffmort

Jan 7, 2004
    Encinitas, CA USA
    Yours is the the thread that I saw to confirm the parts required.
    I tried installing the spring on the black plastic piece as shown in your picture and then tried to push the spring/plastic piece together through the hole in the panel but the tabs on the plastic wouldn't reach the back of the panel to "clip onto/grab" the panel.
    Does the spring install behind the door panel, in effect pushing the door panel towards the inside of the car?

5. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Spring and extension go through the front with the panel already installed. Is your extender a repop? If so, it could have shorter legs.

6. Jeffmort

Jan 7, 2004
    Encinitas, CA USA
    legs on the black, plastic extender piece are approximately 1 3/8" long.
    Not sure if the are original or re-pops as they were on the car when I bought it.
    There are no part #'s on the piece which I would guess make it a re-pop as most GM parts I see seem to have some sort of part #.
    IMG_1671.JPG

7. Jeffmort

Jan 7, 2004
    Encinitas, CA USA
    IMG_1672.JPG Figured it out.
    Thanks for your help COPO.

8. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    The spring should be closer to the end where the lock tabs are when you push it all in.

9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Anybody have a part number or source for the spring? Mine didn't have them, but it wouldn't surprise me that they were left out at some point. Looks like an easy thing to leave out, especially since it looks hard to get in the right place and I'm not sure it really does anything significant.

10. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I'll guess on the function of the spring and just say it's to keep pressure on the extension so the extension doesn't pop out of it's 2 locking arms.