1970 Camaro console ashtray door springs

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by maguyvr, Apr 19, 2017.

1. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I remember now! The springs weren't that sturdy and they did make the lid clunk...enough so that all my buddies would play with the damn thing until they broke! :)

Also, they would use that area as a hand rest when getting out of the back seat. Mine broke once and I had to super glue the back part of the console on again!

2. maguyvr

maguyvr New Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodland,ca
    I think the reason the springs are missing on most cars is because they fall out so easy. I got a little creative and melted the plastic around the end that likes to fall out. The lid works great.

3. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Crazy, In all these years I've never noticed that there were springs... I'll have to dig out my original console and look. Last summer I installed a new OER console in my car, not sure if they come with springs?
    I think every 70-72 Camaro built with console option has a busted off rear ashtray housing! As soon as you lean on that tail section you're done! Stupid design by GM for sure!

FlaJunkie likes this.
  4. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Good poll item! :)

5. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Canada
    image.jpg
    This is a picture from Charley's 1100 mile car. On his site the spring looks to have different ends That leads me to believe there should have been a LH & RH spring. There is only one part # so no, there wasn't . This also makes me think one side would stay in place better than the other , allowing one to fall out easy ,like in Charley's case it looks like the LH is on the carpet

6. maguyvr

maguyvr New Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodland,ca
    I saw that picture of the spring on Charley's site a while back. Had to laugh. 1100 miles and it was on the floor! I'm not quite sure how they're supposed to be held in other than just spring pressure in a wedge. The spring will work in either side, the S of the spring is backwards on one side but it works the same way. I used a flat tip on my soldering iron to build up some plastic to hold the spring in. Seems to have worked so far.