1970 Camaro console ashtray door springs

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by maguyvr, Apr 19, 2017.

1. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Canada
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Hard to get a picture of it The spring is between the door and the console one end is in the door and the other just lays over the V in the console frame

2. maguyvr

maguyvr New Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodland,ca
    Wow, that's interesting that you say it just lays over the V because that's what I thought when I saw another picture of it. But when you operate the door it will fall out. It looks like there may have been a hole at the bottom of the V that it snapped into and the plastic just wore off. If I hold the spring at the bottom of the V and operate the door it works perfectly. I think I can find a way to keep it there. Thanks for your help.

3. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Thanks maguyvr. This bit of ashtray trivia is getting somewhat interesting. Forced me to go out to the garage and closely examine the console ashtray on my 70. I noticed that there are actually 4 rubber bumpers on the rear ashtray housing. Two to cushion the lid when opened and two to cushion it when closed. As you stated in your OP I also found two tiny holes (approx 1/64") on either pivot arm of the lid where one end of a spring could be attached. If you look closely at jbloaks pic you can see what appears to me to be one end of a spring wrapped around a bottom support where one of the rubber cushions is located.
    On my early March built car I am so far unable to see any indication that there was ever a spring attached to the ashtray housing. I've owned the car since March of 71 and it came with no springs attached.;) To further bolster your belief that your ashtray had springs, I looked them up in Classic Ind catalog and found that they offer them for sale claiming they fit 68-72 lids. Although CI has occasionally been wrong before I tend to think you, 70lt1z28 and jbloake are correct. Could there have been a running change on the 1970 assembly line? I kinda doubt it

4. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    I appears jbloake be to the draw. Tks John:)

5. maguyvr

maguyvr New Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodland,ca

I wonder if it mattered which plant they were built?
    Also, whatever is supposed to hold the spring in on the console side doesn't do a very good job. I was looking on a friend of mines web site www.1970z28camaro.com. Charlie owned an 1,000 mile Z28 for a while (you guys likey know him) and there are two pictures of one of the springs laying on the carpet. That car just sat most of its life and one of the springs had popped out! haha

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  7. maguyvr

maguyvr New Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodland,ca

In pictures 1 and 2 you can see the hole on the lid arm where the spring is supposed to attach.

8. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    ^ you are correct ^

9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    When both springs are in there, once you go past the over-center point it moves with authority! THUNK!
    For what its worth, mine is an 04B Norwood car and it has always had two springs but I vaguely remember fixing them by putting them back in place at least once. Never had to buy any so I'm thinking they were just laying in there.

10. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Never had them when I bought my 70 Z28 in '81 and my 71 Z28 didn't either and I bought it in '75. Both Norwwod cars.