1970 Camaro console ashtray door springs

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by maguyvr, Apr 19, 2017.

1. maguyvr

maguyvr New Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodland,ca
    Does anyone have a picture of the console ashtray door springs installed? There is one picture floating around that I believe originated from this site, but it's not helping me figure this thing out. I feel like it should be simple and I'm an idiot. There is one hole (per side) in the lid arm that the spring obviously attaches to, but I can find nowhere on the console side to secure the spring to. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Eric

2. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Early seventies Camaros rear console ashtrays don't have springs on the ashtray door.
    What year is your Car?

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    My 70 has no springs.

4. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    You know, I vaguely remember something on the door...but I'm not sure.

5. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Canada
    image.jpg Yes I have one on the PS of the door

6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Bet they are broke or it was put together without them.

I can't remember if they are on both sides of the pivot or just one.

7. maguyvr

maguyvr New Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodland,ca
    It's a 1970 Z28 and it most definitely had springs at one time. The one's I bought fit 68-72.

8. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Early 70's up to ???? didn't use springs on the rear console ashtray lid. The door was balanced so that it would remain open until it was closed. A slight tap on the ashtray lid is all it takes to close it. There are two small rubber bumpers that help to cushion the the lid as it falls closed (very high tech mechanism). The bottom view of the bumper stem can be seen in jbloak's pic.

9. maguyvr

maguyvr New Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodland,ca
    Thanks for the pic but I can't tell from that picture where the spring attaches to the console side. I think I may have figured it out though and it looks like they plastic may be broke out around the hole that the spring goes through. Any possibility of other pictures?
    Thanks.

10. maguyvr

maguyvr New Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodland,ca
    My car is a 70 Z28 and I can see where it looks like one end was attached. I can see part of the spring in the above picture. I guess it's no huge deal but since I bought them I thought I would install them. Maybe it was like you said and they were never there.