1970 Body Cart Plan

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 70lt1z28, Feb 13, 2017.

1. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Designed up a body cart to help move my car around during the resto. If anyone has done a similar build, can you take a moment and verify the front subframe mounting points and the rear frame point on the attached drawing? The rear frame point is next to where the front spring mounts on the frame.

Thanks. 1970 Camaro Main Jig Assembly.jpg

2. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    The image isn't very good.

The spacing of the holes is 37.12 in the rear leaf spring pickup point, 33.38 in the mid point where the rear (near crossmember) of the subframe mounts to the underbody and 42.0 in the front where the subframe mounts to the underbody near the firewall.

3. Crazy4camaro

Crazy4camaro Veteran Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Greenville SC
    Subframe Cart measurments
    56" wide (outside to outside)
    76" long
    6" casters
    front stands-upwright 10" tall, not including bolt on top
    rear stands- upwright 6.5" tall not including bolt on top
    sides,front,rear 2" square tube 3/16 walls
    sqare tubed that moves over 2" is 2.5" with 3/16 walls
    Note# You may need to adjust the wall size to get them
    to slide together.

4. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Thanks, Crazy.

I wanted to go with a single beam through the center so I could get under it easier. I know the double beams are stronger. Hopefully this wont be a problem. The front-mid supports are going to bolt to the subframe bolts to stiffen it up. The back will just sit on it. I want to make it so that it can be broken down easily for storage or eventual sale.

I was just checking with folks to make sure my dims on the step heights were good and the pickup point spreads for a 2nd gen. Going to weld it up this weekend hopefully.

My 2.5" is 1/4" wall. It slides on the 2", but doesn't have much clearance. Going to have to watch the weld heat. Probably just stitch weld it. If it stays where its at it will be perfect.

Looked through your photobucket. Beautiful 69 RS-Z28 you have. The 70 TA looks good too. Always wanted one of those.

5. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Put it together and everything came out good. Dimensions are good.

The only thing is the mid span support (rear subframe mount) is overkill unless you are going to do extensive firewall work. I used it but it would be mildly in the way if you were going to replace floors etc.

On the rear supports, I just pressed in 1/2" dowel pins that locate on the rear frame rails behind where the leaf springs mount.

I would also probably go with less than the 8" HF casters I used. 4" would be better unless you are rolling over rough stuff.