1970-73 Camaro front lower Valance panel.

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by john Gialanella, Jun 28, 2017.

1. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Bloomfield N.J.
    Starting in 1970 the part number for these front lower Valance panels was #3967176 with only a few small holes drilled on bottom (no front spoiler offered in 1970). Then I am guessing in 1971 the same part #3967176 was used, but had all the holes drilled, including the two holes on the sides (in wheel well) so spoiler could be installed if ordered. Then sometme later (maybe a few years later) the panel was changed to #327536 and should have all the holes drilled. I have an NOS front lower valance panel with GM sticker #327536 and it has all the holes drilled except the 4 holes (2 in each wheel well) that seems odd. Does anybody have this part number and does it have all the holes drilled out. Also anybody wanting to buy a OEM front spoiler do so. I bought one and lined it up against the NOS panel with bolts and it fit perfectly. I was shocked since reproduction parts are usually crap.
    John.
    PS sorry this is so long.

2. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Canada
    image.jpg image.jpg I believe 3994767 came after 3967176 and before 327536 Picture is of 3994767 with holes and no inner braces

3. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    John, do you mean OER since you are talking about reproduction parts? Just want to be sure. Thanks.

4. john Gialanella

Oct 15, 2008
    Bloomfield N.J.
    BillyDean.
    My 1970-73 Camaro front lower Valance is NOS GM. #327536. It has all the holes drilled except the 2 on each end, which seems odd to me. I just wanted to know if anyone else had either one on their camaro or had an NOS or used one that did or did not have the end holes drilled. It would seem that they would have drilled all of the holes. Their is no mistake mine is gm and not reproduction.
    John.

5. john Gialanella

Oct 15, 2008
    Bloomfield N.J.
    Jbloake.
    I quoted the part #3967176 because that is the number in the 1970 Camaro assembly manual, but I have discovered thru the years the numbers in the assembly manual do not always match the numbers in other Camaro parts books. The one on my 1970 SS 396 L-34 Camaro is the original and does not have those two support braces they added later on. But my NOS #327536 Valance does have those two support braces.
    John.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I'm a bit confused about which holes you are asking about. My April 70 Camaro did not come with a spoiler, but I added one years later. I also added the two support braces. The two large holes for mounting the support braces were on my original valence so no modification was necessary.

7. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    I think there's some confusion as to which support braces we're talking about. There's an add-on brace which is a rod that bolts on to help support the spoiler at the outer corners. Then at some point after 1970 there are inner sheet metal reinforcement braces that are welded on. The welded on reinforcements have nothing to do with the spoiler IMHO but rather to stiffen the lower valance in the center along the bottom edge. I have a later valance with the welded on reinforcements but unfortunately no picture.
    I may be wrong but I don't believe the factory would leave extra holes in sheet metal that would be visible when standing next to the car or around the wheel well, underneath the car yes... I would venture to guess that the outer holes would be added as needed at the factory before paint, just like adding holes in the fenders for proper emblems for a Z28, SS or base model

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  8. john Gialanella

Oct 15, 2008
    Bloomfield N.J.
    70 SS/L-78.
    That sounds right. They would have holes drilled for spoiler on the bottom which you cannot see, but the 4 holes on the inner ends of the lower spoiler would on be drilled out if you ordered the front spoiler. Just so everybody understands I am talking about the 2 holes on each side that are used for the ends of the spoiler that wrap around the Valance panel into the wheel well.
    Thanks John.

9. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    John, I was referring to your comment in your first post about the front spoiler, not the valance. I couldn't understand if you were trying to say it's okay to buy an OER front spoiler because it fits good for a repop or if you actually meant OEM front spoiler, which I would think fits pretty good since it's a GM part.

Underlines are mine.

10. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    image.jpg Here's the inner brace from my 73Z, had to remove it to sandblast the underside of it