1970 1/2 RS in Galveston, TX.

Discussion in 'Camaros for Sale' started by silkydraws, Nov 14, 2017.

1. silkydraws

silkydraws Member

May 29, 2004
    Bridge City, TX. USA
    It's been a long time since I've been on here since selling my 2nd gens back when the market was heating up. (should have held out a couple of years but oh well)
    I remember back then a man down the street from my sister in Galveston was doing a nice RS (this is 2005 or so).
    Well, he finished. Now he's sick. Never joined a forum and too sick to do this himself so i thought I'd help out a bit. It's advertised in his driveway but it's a dead end st. so I doubt it's going anywhere. I'm about to go back and see her so I can get some more details and pics IF there is a interest. I've walked up to the car, it's nice. He is asking 22,500 so I guess he knows the market decent enough. No idea yet what panels have been done or even if it's an original engine/numbers car. 12 yrs. ago I thought it was a Z28 but now after getting closer it's a RS badge. Red/blk. Maybe someone even knows the guy. Charlie, worked at Union Carbide in TX City til retiring. I'll check back and talk to him more in case there's an interest here or if anyone wants directions to go see for themselves. I don't think he has a computer.

2. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    GLWTS

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  3. silkydraws

silkydraws Member

May 29, 2004
    Bridge City, TX. USA
    no, Houston was. Galveston had some localized flooding downtown but this car was right off the seawall. Most cars just had water to the tires as did I. If you check the path it bounced right off galveston, went back out and hit us further north.

I had 3 cars in the 00's and sold them all after a close call. Good thing as we flooded bad the next year. (10 feet) Saw many Camaros,Chevelles being hosed out in driveways afterwards, I'm sure they're hurting now. It was all salt water in that flood. How do you clean salt water out from roofs and doors? Ugh, nightmare.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  4. silkydraws

silkydraws Member

May 29, 2004
    Bridge City, TX. USA
    Car is still for sale if anyone has interest.

5. Darknight

Darknight Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 6, 2005
    Houston, TX USA
    Silky- been a LONG time since I've been on this forum, I used to come a lot when I was rebuilding classics and auctioning. I live in Houston. Is that feisty old Charlie got tats and bad lungs? I believe that RS you are describing is one I built for him back in 2008 or so I believe. Red with a big single black stripe instead of usual SS stripes? He wrote me once and said he got so many compliments he wanted to put something inside saying built by Jason "". Really nice nice guy.
    I can't think of what the odds would be of another senior Charlie in Galveston with a red 70 1/2 RS!! So can tell everyone what I remember about that car build. (I'm in market for a early second gen for myself, so may drive out and see him/it for myself)

Car was pretty dang solid. I got it out of Florida. Had a bunch of bondo on passenger sail panel to the roof, but no rot, just bad dent repair. I was able to pull original metal back out clean enough to just skim coat it barely to make it like new. I believe there is a metal patch on drivers side lower back fender well behind tire.
    It was an a/c car and still has all original equipment, I converted it and it was working well. Had original 350 bored to 355 , flat top with dish relief hyper pistons, around 9:7-1 compression with tight quench, comp 268 cam, believe 187x heads (the came humps with bolt holes) did valve job new valves, complete rework with matching springs to cam, some port and polish. Roller rockers, RPM intake, Avenger 670 carb. Really nice coated headers, pyle mufflers with 2 inch exhaust, msd hei, heavy duty 350 turbo auto with 2200 stall, 3.42 rear with locker. New springs, leafs, bushings, rebuilt steering box, redid entire interior, new dash pad as well, new weatherstripping, chrome trim all around and emblems, original nose was in great shape, no cracks or anything and fit nice. New spoiler and bumpers, windshield had been replaced before and was nice, rest original glass. Trunk was great too as were floors. Even gave him an extra inflator spare and canister I had in shop and jack. It had the basic instruments but put in a factory gauges/tach panel and it was pretty dead on. Dropped and cleaned tank, new sending unit , pump, new ps pump, alternator, redid radiator, pretty much what all needed I redid it. Had ralley wheels, blasted and painted, new trim pieces.
    It was in pretty good shape when I got it, had an old restoration, old enamel red job on paint as well. I remember it well because I kinda half ass bid on it on ebay in the last minute, even though I did not need another car to be working on to flip because I had 2 and 3 customers and it was just me and two high school kids I had do grunt work and was trying to teach about cars. Price was a great deal at 40 seconds left so I waited till 10 seconds, no bids and tossed mine in and then was like 'oh **** what did I just do, I didn't have someone go look at it, ask questions, etc-and then "Congrats you won!!". But it had tons of pics and great seller rating and it showed up end of the week in pretty honest shape, so turned out great all around.

IF this is same car that all is!! But I'm guessing it is, and I know he babied it, so would be a great find for anyone, and I might just find time to come out there. I want a standard, but also there is something about buying your own work back!

6. silkydraws

silkydraws Member

May 29, 2004
    Bridge City, TX. USA
    Yes, that would be the same car. I've looked closer. He has been in pretty bad shape for quite a while now and i really wouldn't say it's a 22K car but it is nice looking. Just sat up now too long. Little bit of bubble right in front of driver's rear tire but rest looks pretty good. I haven't taken pics. because no one has expressed interest, just seeing this message.

I bet he'd sell in the teens pretty readily. He knows his ex wife will get it when he's gone.

7. WayneInNZ

WayneInNZ New Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Auckland, new Zealand
    Hi Guys, I would be pretty intrerested in looking at a few pics.
    This sounds like a good car but a bit scruffy.
    Would be a nice addition to the shed.
    Cheers
    Wayne

8. silkydraws

silkydraws Member

May 29, 2004
    Bridge City, TX. USA
    I wouldn't say it's scruffy, it's a nice looking car.
    Unfortunately, he's in no shape to ship. He can barely leave the house.
    This will have to be a local sale.

9. silkydraws

silkydraws Member

May 29, 2004
    Bridge City, TX. USA
    This car is still available. Sorry no pictures. I brought camera and it got wet in my door.

It looks a lot like Darknight's but with a wide black stripe, laughs.

The man is stubborn and wants to sell it to someone who is an enthusiast, I admitted that was no longer me so I'm out of the running but someone could pick up a nice easy project (w/ original motivation it seems) for less than 20K I think.

(I didn't even try negotiating, I'm not buying so why put him through it?)

10. La.Z8

La.Z8 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 6, 2003
    N.W. Louisiana
    I am interested in a few pics. I`ll be down in the area later in the month of April. Also I travel thru the area on my way to San Antonio. I sometimes drive down on US59 and cut over to I-10 around Katy when traveling to SA. MY son`s family lives in the SA area and now my daughter and her husband are transferring to the Woodlands area. Thanks Dale