195 or 210 Heads for street / strip

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by z28smokin, Jan 19, 2011.

1. z28smokin

z28smokin Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Profiler talked me out of the 210 that I wanted for 195. The heads were suppose to be 2.055 valves and I found out today they built it 2.02. I have 190 2.02 Bowties and I am not happy they did not listen to what I wanted. I talked to AFR today and they recommended what I wanted 210 with 2.08 valves. I am just wondering what the real performance difference will be. I have 383 with .1 domes and a .543/.562 with .300 duration solid cam. {lanning or moving up tp a .6?? roller in the next year. I thought I would get the 210s so I can build it stronger later, and not drop another $1000 or more for heads. I spent $800 for my bowties, and hate wasting $$, but want to go faster. Best time 12.77, but ran 13.0 with open headers and a serious oh $hit moment at the end when the coolant coated my tires at less than 1000'.

Is the 210 or 195 going to make a big dif and then is there going to be a difference 2.02 - 2.055 or 2.08 and how much.

I have not picked the heads up or paid for them yet, and I just want your opinions as to not make another mistake,

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Illinois
    IMO it doesn't pay to second guess.... some heads will benefit from larger valves but the port design and valve throat determine if and how much.My $.02

3. tallman1970

tallman1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Camas,WA
    Yes the AFR 210's will shine on your 383 with 2.08 valves.I would choose 210 anytime on a 383.The 2.08 valves will start to come alive 5000+.I know thy aren't cheap and your not making a mistake.I would save for the comp-port job $400.00 option.

4. 6KMile70Z28

6KMile70Z28 Guest

BINGO, what he said.

5. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    You should be in the 10's with your current set up....

Tuning and chassis work will be required.

A crappy street/strip trans with cheap converter can cost you a full second on ET and a few MPH.

6. trroscoe

trroscoe Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I would have gotten the 210's if your going to be running it on the strip. The 195's would be ok if a street cruiser but your leaving hp on the table if you run it at the strip alot. If your looking to go bigger on the cam you will need the extra breathing from the bigger heads.

7. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

It sounds like something is off 12.77 with bowties & .1 domes, anyway with a 300 duration Im sure you have decent compression with the .1 domes & 64cc on 383 ci I would have went 210 - 220's not knowing anything else about your car.

8. caribbean camaro

caribbean camaro Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Antigua (via Florida)
    The AFR 210's have capacity for a real high lift roller cam strip motor 383 like mine in sig - as well as a big healthy street motor

however - sometimes we over estimate what we are actually building - especially where compression and actual usable rpm range is concerned

If your motor is not intended to be a fire breathing strip motor - buy the smaller AFR 195 - you will get in the end a strong reliable motor in the range you are looking for and a modern efficient chamber

good luck

9. z28smokin

z28smokin Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Thanks guys, I felt railroaded and I HATE that. Profiler did not listen to what I want as I want a head that will allow me to increase cid, compression etc without having to spend more on heads, again. I want a street car that can do 10's, but right now 11.5 is fine as I don't want to cut my interior up yet with a bar/cage (but 12.77 is a world away from 11.5).

Thanks for the comments about not sounding right as well. I guess I have been trying to fix my thoughts of 12.77 not fast enough for the setup with more power. The trans and converter are solid (I think) 350thm with a 400 sprague and reverse manual valve body. The shop that built it assured me it was bulletproof. I have subframe connectors, but no ladder / slapper / any bars, just MT 11.5 x 29 ET's. I have modded the carb and was thinking it needed to be ran prior to changes, but Profiler told me they are raising the prices so I told them to build it. They assured me that I didn't need 210's. When I called yesterday the guy read the ##'s for the 210's and told me that was what the 195's w/2.02's would run....not an engine builder, but even I know that bigger runners, and valves = more flow, therefore more power if the rest of the engine can handle it. Again, I hate the fact that I am being treated like an idiot..I may be, but I know there is a difference between the 2. You could tell me I don't need that much flow and I would believe that, but don't tell me they flow the same!! Sorry for the rant, just glad I didn't spend the $$ yet. Thanks

BTW, Caribbean that sounds like a very nasty engine, what does it run?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  10. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Illinois
    Believe me,I understand what you are saying...But...I find that buying parts for what I have instead of what I want to have gives me better results.