10 bolt locker opinion needed

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by biker, Nov 21, 2017.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

Looking to see if anyone has any experience or opinion on the Powertrax locker. I like the idea of the easy installation, and it seems to get good reviews. Looks to be fairly aggressive, but my car doesnt see wet pavement and a bit of locker noise in town doesnt bother me. Just want to know if it is reliable or not. See limk below.

https://www.powertrax.com/traction-...ount%3A+28;year:1981;make:chevrolet;modelands

2. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    I put over 140,000 miles on a Power Trax Lock Right. I've had a few of my own and installed several in customer's cars. I'd say they are reliable. You can't install one in a differential case that has been treated to one wheel burnouts. One wheel burnouts wears the inside of the case and causes excess clearance between the drivers, which causes a lot of problems.

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Thanks man! Is there any way to measure or ways to look for indicators of one-wheel-peel case wear?

4. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    If the thrust washers are blue or show signs of wear then it's probably got wear on the case. You can look at the wear surfaces inside the case and see what condition it's in.

5. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Depends on your power level. If you have a good amount of power and sticky tires, go with a more traditional posi unit.

6. biker

biker Veteran Member

10-4 man, thanks. I will defintely look first.

7. biker

biker Veteran Member

Good amount of power, no traction or sticky tires. Donuts and burnouts are fun for me.

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I used one and it worked great and easy to install. The only annoying feature is the slow speed corner jerking, but nothing that occurs at normal speed.

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

Thanks! I can definitely put up with that.

10. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    I loved my locker!!! the chirping was music to my ears!