'02 Corvette motor/C5 accessory drive ?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ErikNORCAL, Apr 10, 2009.

1. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Honestly if you look at the time stamp of those posts (2009), that may be the only batwing pan I have ever seen. I ended up getting a F-Body pan not long after that, like 99% of us end up using for our swaps. The costs to change over to the better fitting F-body pan is worth it.

2. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    What year f body pans do I need to look for?

3. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    You want the pan from 1998-2002 camaro or firebird LS1.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    The F-body pan or a Dry sump is the only way to go with these cars.

5. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    +1 for the 98-02 camaro pan. When you see how perfect it fits you will smile ear to ear. No chance it can get hit! DO NOT MESS UP THE OIL PICKUP O RING IT IS ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL. GET A NEW O RING. DO NOT FORGET THIS!!!!

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    ...2 bolts rather then 1 gotta be better right? I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the aluminum version but I had a steel one and see no issues using it. Keep in mind the pick-up is also bolted to a windage tray stud so it's fine how the OEM designed it (its not coming off). However this will not prevent the issues people encounter with this design. You need to make sure the o-ring is installed properly and lubed. Some have pinched or rolled the seal upon installing the tube which is what causes oil pressure issues.

7. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    Alright so extra lube and pay attention on install...check! I have read about people loosing bearings from this issue.
    How would one know that it didn't get seated correct when installing? I'm new to the LS engine and excited to learn

8. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Your oil pressure will be low and do funny things

9. Gene'78-LSX

Gene'78-LSX Member

May 31, 2015
    New Braunfels, TX
    I installed an LS2 from an '05 C6 in my '78 the accessories all work with the stock subframe with exception of the A/C. I'm going with the vintage air high mount A/C which allows me to keep everything else stock corvette. The vette accessories are wider side to side but closer to the front of the block than the f-body and truck setups which I like. I also used the stock C6 oil pan since they did away with the batwing. The vette sump is shallower and longer than the f-body and is close to the crossmember on the front edge of the sump but it gives alot more ground clearance than the f-body pan. I have a few thousand miles on it without any issues and I don't worry about bottoming out on a speed bump as my car is low and I used the Holley mounts which set the engine back an inch and down. I may not work without the mounts.