'02 Corvette motor/C5 accessory drive ?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ErikNORCAL, Apr 10, 2009.

1. 76zo6CAMARO

76zo6CAMARO Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Macon, Georgia
    I put 2002 LS6 in mine with all the stock corvette components including the oil pan. But I rebuilt the complete crossmember to do it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.,Canada
    doesn't make any difference. the reluctor wheel is internal. beware of the backside of the water pump to the timing cover. I bought a new LS1 waterpump and found that the back of it has a bolted on cover, whereas the newer motor has a giant 'freezeplug' on the back of the pump. the heads of the bolts on the older or ls1 style waterpump hit the timing cover. not by much, but enough that in time something would give. solution? i test installed the waterpump without the gaskets until there was no contact by grinding down the heads of the bolts.

3. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2003
    now in VA
    John, wow, nice ride. Any pics of the crossmember?

4. 76zo6CAMARO

Dec 8, 2007
    Macon, Georgia
    Here some pics of the cross member.
    You can see the cut out to keep a/c compressor on bottom and the flat plates welded in to place the motor mounts on.
    [​IMG]
    here is the stock corvette oil pan
    [​IMG]

5. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2003
    now in VA
    that looks great! With all the engine mounts available now for an LS swap, do you think you would still have to weld in the flat plates?

Mark, I've been following your thread on ls1tech - I had no idea marktainium was you until I just now clicked on your build thread. Very nice!

6. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.,Canada
    I'm thinking that maybe I shoulda done the build on this site instead. Oh well. Hoping to see it on the road by mid June. Redonkulous amount of work going into this thing though!

7. 76zo6CAMARO

Dec 8, 2007
    Macon, Georgia
    No you would not have to weld in the flat plates, just use any available adapter. Overall, I guess it depends on what your goals are and what your budget is. One of my goals was to use all of the stock corvette pieces, so rebuilding the cross member helped me do that.

If I was doing this swap today I would use Detroit Speed and Engineering front subframe. That is the piece I really wish was available back when I started mine.

8. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    I bought a stock corvette batwing pan like that, do you think I would need to mod my crossmember or will it clear? I have a 76 Camaro too btw :happy:

9. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Did you rebuild your crossmember specifically for the accessory drive or the oil pan?

I just bought a bat wing oil pan and haven't got it yet but wanted to make sure it cleared ok in my 76 camaro.

Thanks

10. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    Old but can't find more info... Does the batwing pan clean without problems? I have a 2000 Corvette ls1 for my 70