'02 Corvette motor/C5 accessory drive ?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ErikNORCAL, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2003
    now in VA
    Found a wrecking yard that has a wrecked '02 Z06 Corvette with low miles. I know swapping the trans is more trouble than its worth and was wondering about the motor for a swap. I know the 4th gen F-body camaro accessory drive works in our cars but what about the C5 corvettes?

I hope I'm using the right term "accessory drive" - I'm talking about everything hanging off the front of the motor, alternator, ps, etc

2. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Patterson, NY
    No, that's probably the biggest issue in LS swaps: The accessories have to be the right ones for your chassis. There are many different variations and if you've got the wrong one you need to change everything over.
    Corvette, F-body, GTO, truck, they're all different.

3. 91chevywt

91chevywt Veteran Member

May 27, 2008
    South Jersey, NJ
    Car craft just did an article on this with pictures and details of the differences. Not the newest issue, I believe its the "May 2009" issue

4. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm not sure of which ones work best, but all the acessory setups are different.

I'm pretty sure the corvette one has some funky placement that causes problems with swaps. Thus, you'd need new accessory brackets. I think the actual parts are the same, just mounted differently.

If you get the LS6 motor for a good price with ECM/wiring/acessories, it can still be a good score. Make sure it runs before buying if possible.

5. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.,Canada
    I am using a LS2 out of a 07 vette, but i swapped the acc. over to fbody stuff (99 camaro) the thing with that swap though is that you need to swap the harmonic balancer and pump as well. the front to back spacing is different. The vette places the alternator up high on the drivers side, and the power steering is kinda in the middle between the alt. and water pump. The fbody stuff is tighter to the block. The air con is the same on both. the vette stuff is pushed further forward. if the waterpump on the vette is the one with the bowl shaped pulley, (really wide where the belt rides) then you can use that with the fbody alt. and power steering.

here's a couple pics. ( same motor, different accesories )

Attached Files:

6. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.,Canada

the actual components are all a little different. they look the same but aren't. for instance, the alternator mounting tabs are spaced slightly differently, the power steering pumps have different shaft size, so you just can't swap pulleys, the water pump pulley is different, harmonic balancer drive spacing is different... I know, I tried.

7. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hm, well, learn something new every day. I'll store that tidbit away for when it time to get a motor.

8. ErikNORCAL

Aug 6, 2003
    now in VA
    thanks for the info. Seems like no one has put an LSx in a 2nd gen yet with anything other than the 4th gen Fbody accessory drive components. That is going to be a PIA to find. Guess I'll try to price it out and see what it runs. And like mentioned there are even more changes I think with the harmonic balancer and maybe what works for the reluctor wheel. I noticed GMPP catalog has accessory drive kits from a cadillac and corvette.

9. ErikNORCAL

Aug 6, 2003
    now in VA
    good find! I took the part numbers from the LS1 engine swap guide and started plugging them into gmpartsdirect.com to see what they cost. I was pleasantly surprised most seemed reasonable except for some tensioner that was $61. I need to get a price total and check kwikperf.com to see which ones I don't need to run to mount the a/c compressor up high (need a/c).

mwhizard, does the reluctor wheel (58x vs 24x) play into the selection and use of accessories or harmonic balancer?