“undesirable” Collector Cars That Have Skyrocketed In Value

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by The Champ, May 15, 2014.

1. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    "undesirable" cars have skyrocketed in value because the "desirable" cars are getting scarcer and scarcer...and pricey. To get their hot rod fix, people are turning towards cars that people wouldn't have wanted 5-10 years ago.

This is why I'm glad I got my 71 when I did, couldn't afford it now lol.

There is going to come a time when the 3rd gen Camaro's (especially z28) will start getting top dollar.

2. kimosabi

kimosabi Veteran Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Not
    A friend and I talked about the 2nd gen Camaros som years ago, that they would increase in value. This was when the 1st gens skyrocketed. Shame I didn't get a 2nd gen 15 years ago... Same goes with 3rd gens for sure. Time to get one.

3. Z-WIZZ

Z-WIZZ Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2004
    FLA
    thought is was something to do with the front A arm folding under but I found this on another site...FWIW

The Corvair lacked a $15 dollar part which would have helped enormously in cornering stability, a roll bar, which keeps the wheels vertical as the car leans. film footage shows the Corvair leaning and the wheels tucking under, causing serious handling problems. There were crashes caused by drivers having to make fairly routine avoiding manoeuvers and the cars would break traction and slide, just for lack of the roll bar.

4. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Other than the Porsche, I like them all.

Ralph Nader was a prick back then. I reload ammo for my 30/06. The book I used showed powder loads that were a couple of grains less than the older book my Dad gave me. Needless to say, I use the older book and get 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

5. This is the problem, that the first military model Jeeps with 4 wheel independent suspension, had. The Jeeps were much worse than a Corvair was.

6. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    Some people (myself included), appreciate cars that are rare - not necessarily valuable - doesn't matter if it was a desirable car when it was new, in fact, cars that took the most abuse are still cool to see on the road. I saw a flawlessly restored Gremlin a couple of weeks ago, it was awesome!

7. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I recall seeing a corvair with a Ford engine mounted behind the rear seat. Anyone else ever hear of anything like this? It was back in the 70's/80's, the guy I was with said they flipped the rear diff over so it pointed forward. I do recall peering in the window and seeing the motor mounted back there, other than that I didn't get a good loook at anything else on it.

8. 69LM1

69LM1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 20, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    There are some really, really fun cars that are undervalued. One is the Monte Carlo SS 454 and non SS 404 (I have a 402/4 speed one of only 600 made):

[​IMG]

They run a fraction of the cost of a Chevelle.

Some of the 65-69 Impala's can be a deal, but have always commanded some interest.

Another one is the Mercury Cougar from 1967-1970. Great little muscle cars and can usually be bought well under a comparable stang for the same performance. I have owned two of these in the past, a 68 302 and a 70 Eliminator 428.

Some of the Olds 442's and Buicks can be had for a nice price as well.

Rich

9. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    you mean like so....
    [​IMG]

It's one of the Goodies Speed Shop drag cars

10. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    Anybody got a Briarwood Van they would sell? I think I would like to do one!