“undesirable” Collector Cars That Have Skyrocketed In Value

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by The Champ, May 15, 2014.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    My Hagerty Insurance newsletter had an interesting article on this topic.

One of the cars was the Corvair.

My younger brother had a '66 back in the day. It was a great car.

Ralph Nader's opinion be damned...

2. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    I saw one break away from a tow and hit a tree at about 20 mph head on . Ruptured the fuel tank and emptied the tank in about 60 seconds. The tank was in the front .All it needed was a spark . The car was pushed in all the way to the windshield . Can you say fiery death . .

3. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Central Illinois
    I've noticed that the outcast's have been coming on strong. A lot of people can't afford to restore a bloated value classic, so they modify an "in your face" ugly duckling and make it actually cooler than a trailer queen.
    Old station wagons fit the bill.

4. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have you seen the prices the Amphicars are getting on B-J?

5. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

Jun 9, 1999
    NJ. US
    Ain't that the F*gg'n truth. You couldn't give them away when I was driving. My second car was a aries kcar wagon. It sucked balls but I pretty much got it for $500. When I was looking for something in a wagon, figured i'm not that into trucks, but I need something I can take to loews or home depot and haul some stuff around. A wagon would make sense to me, so I looked around. Figured I can probably get a dodge magnum for around 5-8k. Couldn't even touch the 6 bangers for 16k. If I wanted the srt it was 20k. I don't think they were that much new? i'm not paying 20k for a 8yr old car.

6. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Alabama
    Seen a few people taking corvairs and wedging LS engines in them, which eliminates the fuel tank issue.. I'd love to have a wagon just to go get groceries in.

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Old Ralph called them "unsafe at any speed"...

Vintage photo of how popular they were for people that know how to drive:

[​IMG]

My BIL had a '69 Corvair Monza Spyder convertible like this before he bought his 1970 454 Chevelle.

[​IMG]

8. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Henderson/Las Vegas, NV
    Wagons are out of control.
    Miss my Corvair :( great car and in no way undesireable

[​IMG]

Yenko liked it too.......
    [​IMG]

9. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2009
    pottsville,pa.
    last year @ one of the carshows here , there was one w/ a 327 in it , I didn't talk to the owner but it was crammed in there , and im guessing it would haul ass , as there really isn't a lot of car there to move

10. Alex71RS

Alex71RS Veteran Member

Feb 13, 2000
    Apple Valley, CA 92307
    I like Corvairs. I always have. The car never got a fair shake due to the media fallout from Ralph Nader's unfair criticism.

The early Corvairs ('60-'64) had a tendency to lift the inside rear wheel during hard cornering, and as it was lifting, it was going positive on camber, and it made the cars really squirelly if you were flogging them. During normal driving, you wouldn't ever notice it. This was one of the reasons for Nader having a vendetta on the car.

The '65-'69 Corvairs are an extremely underappreciated automobile. It's actually a fine car, with nice styling and good handling. When the Camaro came along in '67, the Corvair really didn't have a place in the Chevy line-up, and it was gone not long after.

I want to build a '65-'69 with a front mounted LS. You can actually use a '79-'85 G-Body (Monte Carlo/Cutlass/Regal) frame and it fits great.